Reusing Pavers And Base Material - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 48

Reusing pavers and base material

I have a small 15 x 15 paver patio about 10 years old sinking in several places. I want to pull up and reset the pavers in a better base. I had a concrete border/curb installed around the perimeter levelled and sloped ready to be my guide for the paver reinstallation.

The existing pavers were laid on what appears to be about 4 inches of bedding sand. Trying to reuse what I can so my question is should I
A)remove all of that sand and replace with gravel, compacted and then reuse bedding sand for top 1"?
B)Leave some of the sand and mix with gravel and compact and then beddding sand on top for levelling

Trying to avoid having to haul away material that can be re used.

Since I am trying to get the pavers to be level with the new border/curb after compaction with a mechanical vibrator, how much higher should I set them? Ie will plate compactor push them down an 1/8th inch or more?
kal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,080

Re: Reusing pavers and base material

Option A, is the way I do it.

Too much sand won't compact, and will be loose enough that the pavers eventually sink in in places.

Compacted well the gravel supports the sand better, and the final compaction of pavers and all should be done with a carpet on the plate to keep from breaking any pavers, and should not be forceful enough to drive them deeper.

So be gentle on the final compaction.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 708

Whether you use method A or B, I have found that the base material can be compacted quite nicely by using water via a sprinkler a couple of times a day over several days to reach an acceptable degree of compaction. Sand or Gravel doesn't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

Mason sand or bank sand can be compacted with water as it's a very fine sand, the bedding sand should be #2 torpedo or the same sand thats used for a concrete mix.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement