Retaining Wall Without Deadmen ... Comments ? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

Retaining wall without deadmen ... comments ?

I am considering building a 70-80 foot long soldier pile wall. That's the kind where you sink steel I-beams into the ground and stick wood 4x6 beams sideways into the I-beam slots.

The wall is long, but very shallow - most of it is 1-2 feet tall, maxing out at roughly 3 feet in the middle.

If I dig holes and sink them in concrete, and sink them double their height (3 feet tall visible means 3 feet are buried in concrete) can I get away without doing deadmen ?

We'll dig these holes with a machine, so the holes will be at least 1 foot in diameter - much larger than if we dug by hand - so there will be a lot of concrete involved...

NOTE: far out rural area, no building codes involved.
dcuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 320

Why a high soldier pile wall? Seems like overkill for a 3' max height wall.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 28

We are standardizing on this particular type of wall throughout the property. So while this particular wall may not require a soldier pile, that's what we will use in order to match everything else...
dcuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

Sounds like a tiny wall with the look of a highway sound barrier. There are cheaper and more effective and more attractive systems if the walls retain less than 5' of soil that can be used. No concrete footings required.

Google for SRW walls and you will get plenty of similar appearance and slightly different shaped concrete units.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,042

Sounds like an awful lot of work just for appearance sake, you don't give your location so can't say if 3 feet deep will suffice.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

As mentioned by others, this is an unusual type of wall for such a small height. Of course, if you want to install it, certainly it is your money and time. As to the design of such a wall, the strength of the wall depends predominantly on the strength of the soil it is to be installed in. Evaluating the strength of soil requires a hands on investigation by someone who understands properties of soils, certainly cannot be done on an internet chat forum. Best to find someone local who has installed a similar type of wall in similar soil conditions, they can help you decide how deep to install the piles, and what spacing will work.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 38

Just to answer your question.

You'll be fine with what you have planned, a couple of feet of dirt it not going to knock over an I-beam concreted into the ground 3'
crf731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement