Retaining Wall Step Up - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 62

Retaining wall step up

Hi,

We dug a trench 1 foot deep up our driveway on an angle for a step up wall. We then filled it in with GA crushed stone and compacted it, and started to build our step ups only out of the crushed stone. Kind of like this below: Name:  angled-step-up.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  37.3 KB

But most of the step up diagrams show that you need to step up the soil beneath the GA crushed stone like this. Compacting the soil and leveling it as you go underneath the GA. Like this image below.
Name:  square-step-up.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  13.1 KB

Is it important to level the soil below the crushed stone and have it stepped up as well as step up the crushed stone? Or can it just be a gradual slope below the crushed stone? We just don't want to build the base of the wall wrong and have it get washed out at the base level.
wrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,997

Re: Retaining wall step up

It depends on the soil, height of the wall and compaction workmanship. All the base and at least 1/2 - 1 stone needs to be below grade. This is well stated in the product instructions.

My steps for the dirt were more of a ramp than what you show in the second illustration. Six blocks high at the high point and as solid and level as the day I finished it in 2012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #3

Ok.thanks. I guess we will just leave the soil angled. I was just concerned that it needed to be flat. our wall is going to be 7 blocks tall at the highest point. Approx 3 feet. It will be stepped back and step up 3 levels. Yes. We will have a full row under at each level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,997

Re: Retaining wall step up

If your base run of blocks is level side to side and front to back sitting on at least 6" of compacted base you should never have a problem.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #5

Thanks. Yes. we have about 7 to 8" of compacted crushed stone. So should be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement