Retaining Wall Or Edging - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Retaining wall or edging

I am debating whether to build a small (6" height) retaining wall around my side and front landscape or to just use edgers instead. I have attached a pic. If I build a retaining wall I would have to build up the dirt, is that going to cause drainage issues? Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on what I should do here?
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Retaining wall or edging-1436107545653.jpg  
saxsquad29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,003

It might. Is that a basement window under the bay?

It looks like you have good drainage now. I would be inclined to do edging only and keep the grade away from the undisturbed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
It might. Is that a basement window under the bay?

It looks like you have good drainage now. I would be inclined to do edging only and keep the grade away from the undisturbed.
Egress window under the bay window. If I used retaining wall blocks I would add more dirt next to the foundation to allow for slope. Window wells would be added on the far basement window as well as another retaining wall around the egress to allow for more dirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

I really like the look of retaining walls. As long as I add enough dirt for correct slope there should not be a problem with drainage, right? Plus the wall will be less than 6 inches in height above grade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement