Retaining Wall Against Brick+cement Block Foundation. Waterproofing Options? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By jlhaslip
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip

Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 616

Retaining wall against brick+cement block foundation. Waterproofing options?

I've attached some sketches below to help illustrate the project. Looking to add fill dirt to the right side of house to create a level area along the exterior wall for a landscape bed (the tea olives in the before/after sketch).

At its deepest end, the height is 6 foot and it will slope to 0 10 foot from the wall to meet the existing opposing slope to form a drainage path.

The exterial wall is painted brick. The interior foundation wall is CMU blocks. This wall is exterior to unfinished utility basement area. Currently no evidence of water issues on interior wall of basement. Pics below.

Questions:

1) Do I need to apply some waterproofing to the exterior wall? If so, suggestions appreciated

2) There are two fittings on the wall. See pics. A sump pump drain pipe and the exterior water spigot.

Thanks for your suggestions!

In the pic below, you can see pipe that goes to the exterior water spigot. The wall to the left is the exterior wall, the wall to the right is an inside storm shelter.

The wall at the back of this pic is the exterior wall where the dirt will lay against. Wall on the right is the inside storm shelter.

The white pipe is the sump pump drain that routes to the exterior wall we are talking about.

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 03-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Retaining wall against brick+cement block foundation. Waterproofing options?

With an open basement such as you have, I would imagine that the Sump drain and the water spiggot could be relocated to the top or side as required.
Cover the block with dimpled water proofing membrane and add a Big O weeping system before back filling and you should be good to go. Possibly some foam insulation under the drain membrane? depending on where you are located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 616

Re: Retaining wall against brick+cement block foundation. Waterproofing options?

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm in Birmingham Alabama.

Just to clarify, the exterior wall is painted brick. You are suggesting to install the dimpled waterproofing membrane to the face of the painted brick correct?

I expect that I can attach a pvc extension to the existing exterior sump pump drain pipe to clear the fill area. For the spigot, I've decided to stop the wall just before that location so it will not be a problem.
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 708

Correct.

A product like this one : http://www.superseal.ca/dimpledmembrane.html

I allows any water to find its way down to the weeping tile and avoids the wall from being saturated.
homeimproverjoe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement