Replanting A Tree That Was A Weed - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 340

replanting a tree that was a weed

A neighbor has two nice maples, and I come to find out both were "weeds" 15 years ago when he planted them. They just spouted up and grew through a bush, so he dug them up and replanted.

I discovered the same thing in my yard, and was able to uproot on and get it into a large pot, where it's been for 6 months. It's not the healthiest looking thing - probably ready for a larger pot. But it only gets rainwater, and is still alive.

If I were to plant this in my yard somewhere in hopes of it becoming a large tree, does the scraggly appearance today, or where the main "trunk" (which is about a 1/2 inch in diameter) branches off make any difference? I mean, today, it's about 6 feet tall, and just a really long trunk that has a Y up top with leaves. Is that the shape a 15 year old tree would thus have, or will it just take on sort of normal tree appearance as it grows?
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

Over the years I've planted hundreds of Maples, just like that. I "built" an entire border on the west side of our 10 acre acreage by transplanting volunteer Maples.

First of all, you've got nothing to lose. The price is right.

Second, replant the thing. Stick it in the ground. Give it a good dose of water a couple times per week, and it should start rooting out just fine.

Third, the shape of the tree is probably going to be okay. In 15 years it'll have a nice long trunk, with a good canopy up in the air where you want it.

Maples are very hardy when they're young. The sprout in uncleaned gutters, in gardens, and just about anywhere else the "helicopters" land.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement