Repairing A Garden Hose - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 175

Repairing a garden hose

Altho there are no stupid questions, this is may qualify, altho I suspect that many, many others have exactly this same question.

The female connect on may hose broke. I cut it off, and am faced with jamming the new one in.

Many times, I have huffed and puffed until I finally got a new connector in. I've finally decided that there must be an easier way, and turned to you guys, a never ending fount of wisdom, know-how, and experience.

I thought that using something petroleum based (3-1 oil, motor oil, petroleum jelly) would not be good, because it could cause the hose to deteriorate. Would something like corn oil be OK? What about a silicone spray? WD-40 (which I believe is also petroleum-based, but has other properties that might make it OK ...)? Something else?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

Richard

P.S. - I figure gardeners face this problem often enough, so that's why it's here; if I should post this elsewhere, let me know ...
RichardZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 380

I use liquid soap
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZTMAN For This Useful Post:
Colbyt (01-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 110

As stated liquid soap does wonders.

So does a little heat from an open flame, just keep the hose away from the flame.

You just want to heat it enough that it will expand enough to slip on the mender, not enough to melt it.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (01-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
As stated liquid soap does wonders.

So does a little heat from an open flame, just keep the hose away from the flame.

You just want to heat it enough that it will expand enough to slip on the mender, not enough to melt it.

ED
Ayuh,.... Even puttin' the end of the hose in boilin' water will usually soften it,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (12-21-2015), r0ckstarr (01-09-2016)
Old 12-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,288

If not skilled with a torch go for the hot water soak as mentioned. No lube. The water is plenty of that. An important part of it staying where you put it is friction.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (12-21-2015)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 175

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to start with the heat, rather than the liquid soap, although with the latter, I did the V8 thing (you know, where you hit your forehead with the palm of your hand and say "I coulda ..."). My reasoning was that if the heat didn't work, I could fall back on the liquid soap, but not so much the reverse. Also, the point about friction is valid, altho given that liquid soap worked for two people, I suspect that it's more a theoretical problem than an actual one ...

My one twist was to use a heat gun rather than a torch (avoids the open flame). I suspect that a hair dryer would work just as well. After about 30 seconds in 40 degree weather, the hose got nice and soft, and putting in the connector was a piece of cake. I like too that then I put the external clamp on, it could press down into that soft hose, which I think just made things all that much secure (altho that idea could be all in my head!).

The next time the connector breaks (notice that I did not say "if"), I think I'll try using the heat gun to get it off, rather than cutting the hose. Probably easier, safer, and my hose won't get any shorter (like 2" is really going to matter much, altho in my case, some points of the lawn seem to need every bit of hose I can muster to reach them!).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I think both are good, and can attest that heating the end of the hose definitely works!

Richard
RichardZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichardZ For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (01-08-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,800

I would not put the external clamp on when the hose is too soft otherwise it could make a hole in the hose that would leak.
Advertisement