Reinforcing Free Standing Section Of Fence - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 61

Reinforcing free standing section of fence

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure where to put it. Anyway, there is 5' wide space between the side of my mother's house and the brick fence surrounding her property. She would like to turn it into a little dog run for their new dog. Towards that end she bought two metal fence segments at Lowe's (picture below) to block the exits into the front and back yard respectively at both sides of the run. The segments are about 4 inches narrower than the gap between the house and the wall, but that's not a big problem as the dog is too big too squeeze between the two inches at either side. The real problem is that the fencing's only point of attachmtent is at the ground where it is anchored with four stakes. It's not hard to imagine the dog putting enough torque on the top of the fence to bend it right over, so it will need some kind of additional reinforcement.

I'm thnking about getting four eye bolts and putting two into the brick wall at a height near the top of the fence and each a couple of feet on each side of the fence and putting two more in the same configuratoin on the stucco side of the house. Then I can just run some wire through the eyebolts and the fence and pull everything tight and tie it off. Is that a reasonable solution? I've never done anything like this and I've never drilled into either mortar or stucco. Can I just use a masonry bit? Are there better hardware options than en eye bolt? Are there better options than wire or any tips for tying off the wire? As you can see, I really don't know what I'm doing here and am looking for any general advice before I do any damage to her property.

Thanks!
rs1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,734

Re: Reinforcing free standing section of fence

On the house side you would need to locate a stud in the wall to attach to and finding them can be difficult. Right at a corner or right beside a window would be good location
Or it might be best to just put a fence post in the ground right next the house.

We should see the fence to be able to make a good suggestion for the brick side..

Might be best to set them or it up as a gate.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 08:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 61

Thanks Neal. Sorry, I forgot to add the photos. Here they are

rs1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,090

Fence posts, you need fence posts.

Dig your holes at least 1/3 the height above ground, deep.

Then concrete them in, this gives even more stability to them.

If asthetics is wanted have custom design posts built that accent the fencing style, or plain cedar posts, galvanized pipe, of PT posts, or any other that are offered at your BOX store.

posthole diggers are easy to operate, and my choice for this type of work.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,224

I'm not sure if you want this as a fixed fence or a pair of open-able gates.
Several options. You could lag a couple pieces of 2x pressure treated lumber to the fence and wall. For the brick, I'm not sure whether Tapcon screws or lead anchors would be best - others might know. I'm not sure the best solution for the stucco side since I'm not familiar how they are constructed. If the soil allows it you could pound in a couple of chain-link style posts. Some say they need to be cemented in - I never have and have never had a problem. If you have to auger them in then they should be cemented. you would need to drill suitable holes to accommodate the little hinge tabs on the panels. You could also auger in a couple of 4x4 posts. If you really don't care how it looks you could built a couple of A-frame stands with a 2x or two across between them.
A lot will depend on the size and temperament of the dog when full grown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement