Regrading Lawn - Need Opinions - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Regrading Lawn - Need Opinions

All,

I am struggling with how to approach grading the side part of the yard. We will be removing the sidewalk from up to the steps, but leaving the stone steps for now. We will also be removing the rest of the stone that leads up to the steps.

From there I am a little lost. We would like to keep the tree and just re-grade and plant grass for the moment, but I am struggling to visualize how to grade it. As you can see in the pics, I do have some large stone that can be reused for a small retaining wall. I have also considered a drywell in the event I can't eliminate a low spot.

In short - how would you grade this to limit water problems and make it not look horrible. A will try and post a link as a reply to this message as the forum keeps giving me an error "you must make at least 1 post to post a link"

Thanks in advance!

Eric
epalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Re: Regrading Lawn - Need Opinions

Link to pics: https://goo.gl/photos/qArTTcaHdua8rh7e8
epalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,003

It's hard to see the contour in photos. From the drive to yard and tapered toward the street. This assumes you are removing the entire sidewalk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,566

I think the guys who did that originally had the right idea. The road to the side is a couple of feet higher than your lot, so the grade near the road has to stay at that height. The "retaining wall" works well to change the height --- just that that wall has seen better days. The little tree in the middle of the wall does not help --- I think that tree has to go.

So basically, I am suggesting to get rid of the tree and repair/replace the retaining wall. It seems to fade to zero height at the front, but that's OK.

Better check with the city if that's actually your sidewalk before you rip it out.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement