Re-activating Sprinklers - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 896

Re-activating sprinklers

3 yrs ago when I bought this house I was trying to be more conservative so wasnt going to use the sprinkler system. Its on a well.

First the pump doesn't work and I didn't have money for new pump.

I didn't know this area is on a ridge and gets less rain than surrounding areas. At first it was enjoyable, being retired and watering my shrubs in the morning. Now the novelty wore off and I'm sick of it.

I hate to add up the money I've lost by shrubs dying.

At the time I drove across the yard to unload something. Now I'm wondering about getting a new pump and using irrigation. One sprinkler head broke and I just mowed over it these past 3 yrs so wonder if its filled with sand.

Does it sound possible to use existing sprinkler system if I get a new pump?
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

There should not be any problem to get this up and running. Are you saying that the pressure isn't enough to pop up any of the heads to get water out? Or not enough to get full coverage?
If you have some pressure, change out the broken head and flush any dirt that got in there. You might have to remove heads downstream from the broken one if dirt got into the piping. Unless the whole head sheared off, you should be okay as far as dirt in the line. You'll know when you unscrew it.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Startingover (08-14-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

Ron, thanks. I'm happy to know it may not be as bad as I expected.

The irrigation pump is near the middle of my back yard. It used to hum if I flipped a swich on it. Now it doesn't make any noise and no water comes out.

It will be months before I can get a new pump, but I needed to inquire now as that affects whether I bother saving some of the shrubs.

Last edited by Startingover; 08-14-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #4

Pump might be able to be brought back to life. You won't know until you get it inside and check it out.
Was it ever submerged in water?
Odd place to put a pump. I'd have it protected from the weather.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Startingover (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

and, is it common for irrigation pumps to have a water faucet on them for a hose?

I do like the idea even tho our city water is cheap. My bill is $12 in winter and $28 in summer. Well water would be better for my shrubs.

No, the pump couldn't have been submerged considering the arrid location where I live.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
and, is it common for irrigation pumps to have a water faucet on them for a hose? Thanks
You lost me on this. A faucet is a faucet and a hose is a hose. They aren't interchangeable.
Is this a traditional sprinkler system or some homeowner concoction using garden hoses?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

It's an actual, but older, standard sprinkler system.

The pump has a pipe on top with a faucet on the end of the pipe. This faucet has threads on it to hook a garden hose to it. That will be convenient to water flowers in between times when the sprinkler isn't on.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #8

Theres an on/off switch to the left. This is the faucet I'd like to use for my hose and to fill a watering can.

Re-activating sprinklers-image.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement