Ranch Road: How Much (deep) Road Base? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ranch road: How much (deep) road base?

I need to upgrade a dirt road and put a driveway/parking area in front of a new house we have built on our ranch. I plan on putting down #2 road base (limestone, <2") directly on the existing road and soil. In part it will go over a good, well-drained rock/caliche substrate and in part it will go down over a moderately-poorly drained clay-loam. Slope is about 2% so water runs off without ponding. I was thinking of calculating the needed material based on a 4" thick road base. Will 4" be enough on the more clayey sections or should I use more than that?
JaimeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 144

Ayuh,... 8" to 12" base is more realistic...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #3

You can also install a geo-textile made specifically for road building to install over the areas that are more clay-based. I agee with Bondo that 8-12" is more realistic for those spots. Good Luck!
LandscSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscSolutions View Post
You can also install a geo-textile made specifically for road building to install over the areas that are more clay-based. I agee with Bondo that 8-12" is more realistic for those spots. Good Luck!
Thank you both. I have been interested in the geo-textiles for road building so will check into price. I was able to talk to some local road builders and they advised that using a 6" avg. depth will work fine and allow for 4" to 8" of base across the job site as required by substrate.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #5

How goes it?

Like you, I have driveway on clay soil (the western edge of the llano: Manzano, NM). A local road guy says "grade, caliche, then gravel". But geotextile has peaked our interest; the local source carries Tencate products and they are suggesting Mirafi 600X. How have your plans developed?
gyoungiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #6

Re: How goes it?

I decided I didn't need the geotextile. I have had the land for 16 years and know the area and soils where the road/drive would go very well. Gets really slippery when wet, but a spinning wheel does not make a rut...only top inch or two is affected so it behaves like the caliche your guy is recommending. I went ahead with #2 road base, about 6" deep, right on top. I didn't need to grade as slope was regular and only about 3% - 4% grade. The geotextiles I had looked into where the ones used by forestry operations to build logging roads so I assume that for light vehicle traffic they would have been more than adequate. I would guess that the geotextile would perform as well or better than the caliche over its useful life, though I have no idea how long that would be. If the geotextile had a 10 plus year life than I guess it would be a matter of cost as to which to use (caliche vs textile). There is a lot of information available thru google on geotextiles for forest roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement