Raised Vegetable Garden And Peat Moss - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

Raised Vegetable Garden and Peat Moss

I hope someone could give me some hints or clues.

This is my first time building a raised bed for vegetable garden. The other day I was at home improvement store and found cheap peat moss. I thought I could save a lot money on soil for my garden. So, I bought 3 bags of 3cubic feet. I pretty much filled all of my raised bed with peat moss and top it off with top soil + fertilizer and some dirt from my backyard. 65% of my raised bed is Peat Moss. Now, I found out that it is actually ACIDIC. My plants don't look so good. What can I do to fix this? Can I just water down the garden soil so most of the acid washes off? Will too much peat moss kill my plants? Help...
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 576

Re: Raised Vegetable Garden and Peat Moss

All is not lost....If 9 cu ft = 65% of your bed. Your bed = about 13 cu ft (or 1/2 cubic yard). Dig out and haul away 2/3 of your bed. Peat moss holds water well. Too well.

You need to haul in some excellent soil amendments. Maybe 3 or 4... 3 cu ft bags of something like Kellog's Garden Soil or Down To Earth Compost ($$), but worth it. Dig up your plants and repot or heel them in for awhile. Dump amendments in and mix well.

Your soil will still be acidic. How much so is iffy. Strawberries and tomatoes like a slightly acidic soil....6.5 to 6.8 pH. Buy some agricultural, hydrated lime or calcium carbonate and add 3 heaping shovels full to your bed and work in. Water well.

Re plant your veggies and see what's what. Good fertilizers are fish emulsion, kelp, blood meal, bone meal. Small doses are better than big doses......

Last edited by Cedrus; 05-29-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 576

Re: Raised Vegetable Garden and Peat Moss

More useless info.....I bought a $8.75 3-way soil tester from Home Depot: Moisture, pH and Light. Not sure if it works, but it got good reviews. HydroCrunch mfr.

I also have a $3.00 meat thermometer with a long prong. 0 to 250 degrees. Use for soil temps. 70 degrees is good. Also....Dolomite lime is what I meant.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement