Rain Water Off Roof. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By Oso954

Old 06-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
HWU

Rewards Points: 62

Rain water off roof.

Last year I had the whole yard landscaped. They did a great job. I also had them bury the downspouts to drain out into the yard. We sent them out 20ft with 3" PVC. This is working quite well...greenest grass in the neighborhood, little did I know I would have to cut every other day...with this wet spring! LOL. Question is...I would like to "Y" off of the existing pipe we laid to reach a few areas that are not receiving the natural flow. Can I ...or should I downsize the pipe out from the "Y" to 2 inch? Would that create a little more pressure to allow it to drain faster? Any thought would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Ra
HWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Rain water off roof.

Any of that is doable. It can't hurt anything. However, you may need to cut the grass daily.
Nealtw likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guap0_ For This Useful Post:
HWU (06-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWU View Post
Last year I had the whole yard landscaped. They did a great job. I also had them bury the downspouts to drain out into the yard. We sent them out 20ft with 3" PVC. This is working quite well...greenest grass in the neighborhood, little did I know I would have to cut every other day...with this wet spring! LOL. Question is...I would like to "Y" off of the existing pipe we laid to reach a few areas that are not receiving the natural flow. Can I ...or should I downsize the pipe out from the "Y" to 2 inch? Would that create a little more pressure to allow it to drain faster? Any thought would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Ra

No good deed goes unpunished.
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
HWU (06-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,946

Quote:
Can I ...or should I downsize the pipe out from the "Y" to 2 inch? Would that create a little more pressure to allow it to drain faster?
Downsizing the pipe does not increase pressure.

The only way it would is to have so much flow it exceeds the total capacity of both pipes. Once the water backs up above the Y, the head pressure would increase.
HWU likes this.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
HWU (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,062

Hi HWU, looks like you are in a cold climate. Buried drain lines can have ice issues and ultimately freeze solid and break, seen several. Even when draining into a pit a trickle of water through a below freezing pipe will layer up until solid. Hay bails or other on top of the ground in fall through winter might help.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
HWU (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 02:55 AM   #6
HWU

Rewards Points: 62

Bud, that was the first concern (freezing) when we did this on a previous house about 20 years ago. We never had a problem so I went ahead and did it again on this house. The grade away from the house is pretty good so it drains quite well. I just thought about reaching a few areas that are not getting the extra water off the roof.
HWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement