Rain Bird ESP-M Controller Problem - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fuzzmanks

Old 08-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 350

Rain Bird ESP-M Controller Problem

I have a 7 zone Rain Bird ESP-M controller in my sprinkler system setup that is approx. 15 years old. I've never had any problems with it electronically until recently (about 2 weeks ago). I notice that the valve on zone 1 was not opening when the controller activated that zone. I can manually open the valve and it works. Also, I can disconnect the common and line 1 from the control box and connect them to a 24 volt power source and the valve will open.

If you notice in the attached picture, the line for valve 1 is connected to zone 2 on the control panel and the line for valve 2 is connected to zone 1 on the control panel. That's the only way to get valve one to open properly using the controller. I can connect the line for valve 2 to either zones on the controller and it will work. However, the line for valve 1 will only work when connected to zone 2 on the controller. This is what I am trying to figure out ... why is this happening.

I also notice during testing that valve 3 probably was not opening (coverage area seemed to be drier than others) and I visibly saw the controller advanced to that zone for which nothing happened. I removed the module and reinserted it making sure it was securely locked in place. Zone 3 now seems to be working consistently but zone 1 still will not work unless connected to zone 2 on the controller.

I can run it like this but that just seems kind of odd to me. Just trying to see if it is something simple before I decide to purchase a new controller. It's probably not worth trying to fix this one as a new 9 zone controller on Amazon Prime sells for $60.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Rain Bird ESP-M Controller Problem-img_5548.jpg  
etsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 24

Re: Rain Bird ESP-M Controller Problem

I have no expertise, but couldn't you just the connections for 8, 9, or 10 for zone 1 and zone 3 and see if you can get a few more years out of the unit?

Sounds like your valve and solenoid and wires for zone 1 is working. So I suspect it is your controller. But then that doesn't explain to me why zone 2 would work attached to the zone 1 position.
SPS-1 likes this.
fuzzmanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement