Question Bout Tilling And Trenching - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

Question bout tilling and trenching

Time to lay some sod!

I have about 2000 sq. ft. of lawn to lay some sod in and have a question about tilling and then trenching.

The area has been dug up and graded with a track loader so there is no remaining turf. Now I need to till it well for sod and then install irrigation before the sod goes down. My concern is that after I till I will not be able to drag around a trencher. Planning to rent eith an 18" trencher or a 13 inch ground saw for the roots here in my yard (Atlanta). Will I be able to pull a trencher thru the freshly till ground? What is the best way to approach this? Could I just till a couple times were the few trenched are and clear it with a trenching shovel? Maybe I am over thinking it.
jAndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 206

Re: Question bout tilling and trenching

As far as running the trencher across tilled soil, I don't think that any of the ones I have seen or rented myself over the years would have any problem. But after you till, you're going to go over it with a rake, I assume? Maybe I over think things too, but that's what I have always done. And you said an 18" trencher. I don't know a lot about irrigation lines, but is that how deep the lines will be? Your tiller isn't going to go that deep, so seems like you should be able to till right over them. But what I think I would do is lay the lines, mark them clearly, backfill, till everything, maybe stay back from the lines 6-8" just to be safe, then finish at least over the lines with a rake. You'll have enough tilled soil close enough to work in with the stuff you trenched and backfilled to blend the two together, and I don't think you would tell the difference. Not an expert, but I have done some decent work in my time.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 164

Thanks for the reply. The lines wil actually go 12 inches deep, the trencher they rent is either the 13" or the bigger one. So you think it might be better to trench first and lay the irrigation, then till?

Does that sound better you you all?
jAndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,265

Never done it but a logical approach to me seems:
Trench first, lay pipe, stub out risers but don't install heads. temp caps on risers.
Till, rake water let it settle then install heads and add sod.

All you have to do is avoid the risers while tilling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement