Proper Paver Footing - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Proper Paver Footing

We are getting bids on paver sidewalks and patio. Most of them use sand and the one company uses 1B stone and does not use sand because they say the ants drag it away and the rain washes the sand away. They seemed very knowledgeable, but I am so unsure of what to do. Everyone says there way is the best way. Any thoughts?
Diannj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

I assume you are using the most common type of pavers - interlocking concrete pavers. They are set in a 1" sand setting bed over a compacted base.

Just look at the installation of the ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Paver Institute) on icpi.org. - If you are using the larger, thinner pavers (stepping stones, etc.), then you are in a different unstructured world without formal methods and materials.

The ICPI has specifications on materials and installation in addition to certifying paver contractors.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 05-14-2012 at 11:44 AM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

My patio has a plate compacted 8" gravel base with a layer of geo grid in the middle of it. (I live in the mid west where freeze/thaw cycles can mess with a patio) On top of the gravel is a .5" layer of sand that creates a level surface to place the pavers. After all of the pavers are placed I swept in poly sand and compated it all down with a plate compactor. After compacting I added water to harden the sand. Poly sand will protect against ants, weeds and will not wash away from the rain. Contractors in my area typically quote between $9.50-$14 per square foot for installation and then around $17/face foot for a retaining wall. Good luck

Last edited by thrice910; 05-16-2012 at 02:51 AM.
thrice910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thrice910 For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Poly sand is the ticket,it stays put!
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

I have never seen polymeric sand used on a serious paver installation with high loads in jobs such as streets, roads, airport taxiways or industrial site (up to 25 acres). You could use it in a casual job like a patio, even though most weeds are from airborne seeds that can take root anywhere. It does not add any strength if you have a proper base.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement