Professionals In The Industry - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 344

Professionals in the industry

I am prospecting the idea of starting a small scale, part time yard clean up business. I am interested in mowing, weed removal, blowing walks, pruning, irrigation repair, and trimming low laying trees. I have a honda mower, husqvarna trimmer, stihl back pack blower, and misc hand tools. I would like to hear from professionals in the industry about pros/cons, insurance, legal issues, and any other relevant information. Thanks- Andrew
drew53813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 11:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Go drive around and talk to the independents that do this kind of stuff for a living. Majority of them are carrying at least a Million dollar coverage, to protect from when they tear up a customer's siding or take out landscaping by mistake.

Along with the fact if they have a helper, they need to cover their employee in case they get injured on the job.

Every landscaper in my area, also does Leaf & Snow Removal. Some will deliver Mulch or Sod for you. It all depends on how much they need to cover all of their costs. That includes having back up equipment when a piece has to go in for upkeep or repairs. Same with their main vehicle.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I had a friend ,many years back, that did just what you are thinking---
He was able to live on the money he made---not a profit ,I am guessing, but a decient pay check.
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

People are always firing their landscapers so plenty of new customers every year. Make sure you charge enough.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
People are always firing their landscapers so plenty of new customers every year. Make sure you charge enough.
I was supposed to have a guy start mowing our yard this month. He dropped me, citing too many other customers.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 344

All great info. Thanks guys
drew53813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

My sons & I did a side-line lawn mowing service when they were in Jr & Sr High - then I continued on for several years with the commercial accounts (aka, bigger money) after they graduated. At one time we were tending close to 40 lawns/properties. It was a lot of work.

First of all, you probably need to decide whether you're going to do lawncare or landscaping. With the demanding schedule during the fast growing season, you probably won't be able to do both.

Second, start small. Work your way into a larger business as you're comfortable. Do not plan on this being your only source of income.

Third, check with your insurance agent. When we started, our insurance agent just put a 'rider' on our homeowners' insurance. We later had to go with a separate policy.

Fourth, talk to a tax man or CPA, regarding the best way to structure this as a business.

Fifth, not sure where you live - and we quit 10 years ago, so my prices are a bit off - but when we started we charged $20 for a tiny lawn, $25 for a regular lawn, and $30 for large (but not huge) lawns. In the fall we'd bag & haul off all leaves & refuse (I had a power-flo bagger on a John Deere tractor) for double our regular mowing price (we made BIG money on that deal, but we could haul all the leaves out to our acreage and dump them in the grove). *I also demanded perfection from my sons. If they didn't do it perfectly, they did it over for free. It was a good learning experience.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-03-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 02:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,434

40 years ago....
Who would of thought you could make a living delivering papers, cutting grass, etc..
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement