Privacy Fence Gate Sag. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joed

Old 06-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 96

Privacy fence gate sag.

Wifie _had_ to have 6' privacy fence facing pavement on the cul-de-sac. Had. (I asked her if she was meaning to parade around in her birthday suit? Made some points that day!)
Now I'm dealing with sagging gates, a 4' walk gate and a double 6' vehicle access gate. All 3 are fence panels that match the fence. 2x horizontals and 5/8" dog-eared pickets. In short they're _heavy_.
Course it never occurs to her that privacy mean a solid panel as far a wind is concerned, "the wind will blow right thru" uh huh.
Anyway while I'm jacking (up), backing and filling to keep these &$#@ things level and plumb I noticed that the diagonals go from lower corner at the hinges to upper corner on the latch edge. And I'm wondering if it would be better to have the diagonals reversed, from the upper hinge corner to the lower latch edge?
ChuckTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,810

Re: Privacy fence gate sag.

Diagonals are correct. The heavy weight of the pushes down from the top outside to the lower inside. This way you mainly need to rely on the weight of the gate to hold it.
The other way the weight of the outer bottom would be pulling on the top hinge. more stain on fasteners and hinge.

Is the gate sagging or the post leaning?
Post leaning might be resolved by cable from the upper hinge to bottom of the next post in line.
chandler48 likes this.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
ChuckTin (06-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 96

Re: Privacy fence gate sag.

I have to put a level on the gate posts. The posts are 6x6 but the fence was in in dry weather. With the rainy season kicking in, finally (!), most everything is shifting around. What started all this - I'm in the process of putting semi-pneumatic wheels on the gate leaves so they'll be easier to open and close.
ChuckTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement