Power Washing The Moss Away And Negative Affect - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer

Old 03-12-2018, 12:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Power washing the moss away and negative affect

Hi

I have in pacific NW and I have a (cobblestone?) driveway. I am not sure what it's called. Its basically small pebbles held together by some kid of loose cement.

Anyway, my driveway is quite heavily shaded and every winter the moss would grow until it's a bit slippy and dangerous.

I have try putting moss killer. It's a huge driveway so I have to use a lot. Most of the moss will turn black and green again in a month or so. This year I finally decided to buy a pressure washer to try to get rid of the moss physically.

I tried on a small area and it seems to work. However, I realized that some pebbles would come lose. I am already using the least powerful model from costco (I think it might have been about 1850 PSI)

Should I be concerned that using the pressure washer would damage my driveway? Should I be buying some kind of product to treat my driveway when I am done washing? I am curious what other people do with their driveway moss.

thanks
xusword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 12:54 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,278

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect

Can you post a picture of the driveway where you have cleaned. It sounds like exposed aggregate concrete. If it is the side off the edge will look like regular concrete.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Can you post a picture of the driveway where you have cleaned. It sounds like exposed aggregate concrete. If it is the side off the edge will look like regular concrete.
Thanks for the quick reply

I can't take a good picture right now because it's night time, but I did a quick search and it seems like it. (P.S. The side of the edges are not exposed but it seem like it would look like concrete)

So, is exposed aggregate concrete safe for power washer? Should I be treating it with some things after a power wash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusword View Post
Thanks for the quick reply

I can't take a good picture right now because it's night time, but I did a quick search and it seems like it. (P.S. The side of the edges are not exposed but it seem like it would look like concrete)

So, is exposed aggregate concrete safe for power washer? Should I be treating it with some things after a power wash?
If the concrete is degrading, high pressure might be a problem. I use a cheap little electric one for the same job. perhaps just further away will do less damage. Pressure washing a couple times a year will keep it clean.
I doubt that there is anything that will prevent growth.
xusword and mark sr like this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,736

As Neal said, the condition of the concrete determines whether or not damage can be caused by pressure washing. I prefer gas PWers over electric. They can be dialed down along with using the right tip and distance from the substrate to prevent damage.

Concrete with exposed aggregate isn't much different than other concrete besides the look.
xusword likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,906

See if you can locate this product in your area.
D/2 Architectural Biocide or D/2 Biological Solution.
This product works very well to kill moss and keep it from returning.
xusword likes this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
As Neal said, the condition of the concrete determines whether or not damage can be caused by pressure washing. I prefer gas PWers over electric. They can be dialed down along with using the right tip and distance from the substrate to prevent damage.

Concrete with exposed aggregate isn't much different than other concrete besides the look.
Thanks. If the concrete is already damaged or degraded, is there something I can put on it to treat it?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,736

There are coatings that will seal the concrete and might help in slowing down the moss growth but there is no coating that I know of that will significantly strengthen the concrete - especially once it starts to deteriorate.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 338

I used to pressure wash our brick patio and walkways for the same reason. Came across the Wet N Forget product and haven't pressure washed since.
Can buy concentrate and mix in a pump sprayer. Can cover a lot of area and works great.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 576

ZTMAN could have the answer. I bought some after reading good reviews....all I have to do now is.....use it for the first time.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
I used to pressure wash our brick patio and walkways for the same reason. Came across the Wet N Forget product and haven't pressure washed since.
Can buy concentrate and mix in a pump sprayer. Can cover a lot of area and works great.
Nice.

I suppose that if I use wet'n forget I would still need to hose down the gunk and dirt stuck on between the pebbles?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusword View Post
Nice.

I suppose that if I use wet'n forget I would still need to hose down the gunk and dirt stuck on between the pebbles?
Negative. The rain takes care of that. (assuming if its not a mat of moss)It is amazing stuff if you follow the directions.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

What you described is not cobblestone.

Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
driveway , moss