Power Washing The Moss Away And Negative Affect - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 12:38 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Power washing the moss away and negative affect


Hi

I have in pacific NW and I have a (cobblestone?) driveway. I am not sure what it's called. Its basically small pebbles held together by some kid of loose cement.

Anyway, my driveway is quite heavily shaded and every winter the moss would grow until it's a bit slippy and dangerous.

I have try putting moss killer. It's a huge driveway so I have to use a lot. Most of the moss will turn black and green again in a month or so. This year I finally decided to buy a pressure washer to try to get rid of the moss physically.

I tried on a small area and it seems to work. However, I realized that some pebbles would come lose. I am already using the least powerful model from costco (I think it might have been about 1850 PSI)

Should I be concerned that using the pressure washer would damage my driveway? Should I be buying some kind of product to treat my driveway when I am done washing? I am curious what other people do with their driveway moss.

thanks
xusword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2018, 12:54 AM   #2
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 26,194
Rewards Points: 20,278
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


Can you post a picture of the driveway where you have cleaned. It sounds like exposed aggregate concrete. If it is the side off the edge will look like regular concrete.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Can you post a picture of the driveway where you have cleaned. It sounds like exposed aggregate concrete. If it is the side off the edge will look like regular concrete.
Thanks for the quick reply

I can't take a good picture right now because it's night time, but I did a quick search and it seems like it. (P.S. The side of the edges are not exposed but it seem like it would look like concrete)

So, is exposed aggregate concrete safe for power washer? Should I be treating it with some things after a power wash?
xusword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #4
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 26,194
Rewards Points: 20,278
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


Quote:
Originally Posted by xusword View Post
Thanks for the quick reply

I can't take a good picture right now because it's night time, but I did a quick search and it seems like it. (P.S. The side of the edges are not exposed but it seem like it would look like concrete)

So, is exposed aggregate concrete safe for power washer? Should I be treating it with some things after a power wash?
If the concrete is degrading, high pressure might be a problem. I use a cheap little electric one for the same job. perhaps just further away will do less damage. Pressure washing a couple times a year will keep it clean.
I doubt that there is anything that will prevent growth.
xusword and mark sr like this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 6,866
Rewards Points: 1,736
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


As Neal said, the condition of the concrete determines whether or not damage can be caused by pressure washing. I prefer gas PWers over electric. They can be dialed down along with using the right tip and distance from the substrate to prevent damage.

Concrete with exposed aggregate isn't much different than other concrete besides the look.
xusword likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 1,454
Rewards Points: 2,906
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


See if you can locate this product in your area.
D/2 Architectural Biocide or D/2 Biological Solution.
This product works very well to kill moss and keep it from returning.
xusword likes this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
As Neal said, the condition of the concrete determines whether or not damage can be caused by pressure washing. I prefer gas PWers over electric. They can be dialed down along with using the right tip and distance from the substrate to prevent damage.

Concrete with exposed aggregate isn't much different than other concrete besides the look.
Thanks. If the concrete is already damaged or degraded, is there something I can put on it to treat it?
xusword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
retired painter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: east tenn
Posts: 6,866
Rewards Points: 1,736
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


There are coatings that will seal the concrete and might help in slowing down the moss growth but there is no coating that I know of that will significantly strengthen the concrete - especially once it starts to deteriorate.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
Member
 
ZTMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mountain Pa
Posts: 1,818
Rewards Points: 338
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


I used to pressure wash our brick patio and walkways for the same reason. Came across the Wet N Forget product and haven't pressure washed since.
Can buy concentrate and mix in a pump sprayer. Can cover a lot of area and works great.
__________________
I don't mind spending money, I mind wasting money.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 298
Rewards Points: 576
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


ZTMAN could have the answer. I bought some after reading good reviews....all I have to do now is.....use it for the first time.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
I used to pressure wash our brick patio and walkways for the same reason. Came across the Wet N Forget product and haven't pressure washed since.
Can buy concentrate and mix in a pump sprayer. Can cover a lot of area and works great.
Nice.

I suppose that if I use wet'n forget I would still need to hose down the gunk and dirt stuck on between the pebbles?
xusword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Member
 
ZTMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mountain Pa
Posts: 1,818
Rewards Points: 338
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


Quote:
Originally Posted by xusword View Post
Nice.

I suppose that if I use wet'n forget I would still need to hose down the gunk and dirt stuck on between the pebbles?
Negative. The rain takes care of that. (assuming if its not a mat of moss)It is amazing stuff if you follow the directions.
__________________
I don't mind spending money, I mind wasting money.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
Guapo
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 5,940
Rewards Points: 11,950
Default

Re: Power washing the moss away and negative affect


What you described is not cobblestone.

Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
driveway , moss


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts