Potential Drainage Solution - Thoughts? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 91

Potential Drainage Solution - Thoughts?

My backyard has awful drainage. The drainage easement along the back of my property does not drain anywhere meaningful other than my yard. See attached photo aerial photo. The white arrows show the path water takes, ultimately not draining to any sort of storm system, and draining into my backyard, saturating the ground and standing water. The yellow star represents my house. They just started developing the subdivision behind my property and put in storm drains throughout the cleared area, but didn't (and probably don't plan to) address the drainage easement that runs north/south on my back property line.

Anyway, I called a landscape company to give me a quote on french drains in the back yard. His suggestion was to put french drains along the perimeter of my back yard. He suggested 4" perforated pipe, in a bed of gravel, with no soil/sod on top. These three runs would drain to the NW corner of my yard into a Flo-Well. Up until this point, I had heard of a solution like this before, but since the soil is nearly all clay, I didn't think a dry well was an option. He also wants to put a hefty sump pump in the dry well, to pump the water 140 linear feet to the front of my property near the curb (back yard is lower in elevation than front), and let it go into the storm drain there. I've done a lot of research on this, and it's the first I've heard of having the pump outside in a dry well (no basements in houses around here). See other attached picture.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution? Are there any better solutions to speak of?

He gave me a (very) rough quote of $4,200 for this, and is working on a time/materials quote to send over to me for a more accurate idea of the cost. I know it's difficult to judge price in different markets, but this seems high.
In my head I've figured it would take about 200ft of 4" perf pipe ($180), 140ft of 1.5" sched 40 PVC and couplers ($120), a Flo Well drywell ($90), excavation equipment and an unknown amount of gravel, as well as running a dedicated breaker and line from the panel (outside) to a GFCI outdoor outlet in the corner where the pump would sit, and a few other parts. With all of that on the extremely high side, that's ~$1,200 in parts/tools... leaving $3k for labor.

Thoughts on the solution? Pictures attached for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Potential Drainage Solution - Thoughts?-diagram.jpg   Potential Drainage Solution - Thoughts?-aerial.jpg  
NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 36

Re: Potential Drainage Solution - Thoughts?

I don't have prices, but the solution of placing a pump to move the water to the front house storm drains is what my father had recommended to him. His backyard was the lowest in the subdivision and water was pooling up there. He just moved in, so no decisions have been made. Good luck. I've had to fix runoff issues at my newly built home. Very annoying every time it rains.
UnrulyNFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,218

Before you spend your own money, perhaps call your municipality. They may determine that the easement, or whatever it is, wasn't done properly in the first place or has been compromised by the new construction. A simple re-grage, at somebody else's expense, might solve the problem. Rally your neighbours as they are likely facing the same problem.

The problem with drywells is that they depend on water percolating into the soil, and it sounds like you don't have a lot of that going on. As I recall, Arizona doesn't get a whole lot of rain but when it does it's often a fair downpour onto generally non-porous soil.

Drainage tile without overburden will be pretty unsightly and subject to damage and disturbance. Around here it is standard to install tile with a fabric 'sock' over it then covered with soil. A related problem; however, with burying it is that it will force you to bury the well deeper to provide drainage.

Having a sump push water uphill for 140' (unknown if it is all uphill or there is a height-of-land somewhere alone the way) raises other questions: what is the difference in elevation (head)? can the pump push water for that distance? You would definitely need a back flow valve, otherwise all the water will simply drain back into the sump. Remember that there will be standing water in the line so everytime the pump starts it will be trying to push 140' of standing water.

Or you could just bury a cistern and use the collected water for landscaping.

I'd start with the municipality first.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

He's not in Arizona, it's Arkansas.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
He's not in Arizona, it's Arkansas.
Oops. My mistake. Tnx
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 826

I definitely agree with the earlier poster who suggested that you contact your local municipality first before doing anything else. It's quite possible that they might help you put a bit and possibly even make the developer of the new section solved the drainage problem since it's adjacent to their new development.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
04-30-2014
Ayuh,... This is a 3 year old thread,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement