Posts For Rope Fence? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ibrewster
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree
  • 1 Post By Calson

Old 06-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Posts for rope fence?

I have some decorative shrubs and the like at the end of my driveway, next to the sidewalk. After getting tired of my rose pushes being driven on by the fuel truck and plowed up by the sidewalk plow, I put up a simple rope and stake "fence" using 2x2 wooden stakes. Drill some holes, string some rope, problem solved. Or so I thought. Unfortunately it has now been less than a year, and three of the 5 stakes I put in have been broken, either intentionally or accidentally, I don't know. So I'm looking for something stronger than the wooden stakes. I was thinking something along the lines of a decorative steel post with a ring to run the rope through, and a stake on the bottom so I can just pound it in, but so far I'm not having much luck finding such things. I did find one plastic one, that is similar to what I am looking for, but I wouldn't trust plastic - especially since it gets quite cold where I live. Can anyone point me to a better product, or a correct search term to use with google? Thanks.
ibrewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

Re: Posts for rope fence?

Are you willing to pay for the damage you may cause to the vehicles that hit these posts? Personally, I move stuff back from the curb so that the only thing getting torn up is lawn.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #3

So if I put up some sort of protection system, and they come onto my property anyway, damaging their vehicle, I'm responsible. On the other hand, if I don't put up some sort of protection system, and they damage MY property, I'm also still responsible. Wow, that's just messed up. Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,170

You are not wrong in both your understanding and assessment of the situation.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,278

Usually your property is some what away from the curb.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Usually your property is some what away from the curb.
Last time I checked, my property started where the sidewalk ended Now, whether that property is lawn, driveway, shrubbery, or priceless ornamental roses is, of course, my choice - some of which are smarter than others. As it seems I have no right to defend my property from wayward fuel trucks or sidewalk sweepers, it would behove me to choose something that I don't care about
Nealtw likes this.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,912

No one here can see what your seeing without a picture.
If the road is paved and it's a public road your local highway dept. could tell you what the right of way is on that road.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No one here can see what your seeing without a picture.
If the road is paved and it's a public road your local highway dept. could tell you what the right of way is on that road.
Sorry, I think we've gotten a bit off track Local code says I can put a fence on my property line, and my property line ends at the sidewalk, so there isn't really any question/issue as to the legality of what I was asking.

The original question was simply "where can I find decorative metal posts for a rope fence", to which the answer appears to be "you don't want to do that due to liability concerns". Fair enough - just because I can do it doesn't mean I should!

Thanks though!
Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,038

My mind is wandering envisioning constant fuel trucks where they plow/sweep the sidewalks = airport. I think the issue might be they can't see your rope stakes, and they can't make a turn or back in the driveway or whatever the layout causes.

A decorative pole is still pretty invisible to trucks and in snow. Even a concrete/steel bollard could be pushed over by a large truck.

Thought about getting more visibility with a corner fence? https://www.google.com/search?q=corn...w=1817&bih=920
What about a tall paver block pier, or large boulders?
ibrewster likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
My mind is wandering envisioning constant fuel trucks where they plow/sweep the sidewalks = airport.
Well, hardly constant, more like three or four times a year for the fuel trucks, and every couple of weeks during the winter for the plows.

Quote:
I think the issue might be they can't see your rope stakes, and they can't make a turn or back in the driveway or whatever the layout causes.

A decorative pole is still pretty invisible to trucks and in snow. Even a concrete/steel bollard could be pushed over by a large truck.
For what it's worth, since I put in the wooden stakes, the shrubbery hasn't been driven on or plowed over, but the wooden stakes *have* been broken. For all I know it's just neighborhood kids breaking them for fun.

Quote:
Thought about getting more visibility with a corner fence? https://www.google.com/search?q=corn...w=1817&bih=920
What about a tall paver block pier, or large boulders?
I like that, I'll have to look into the layout/spacing and see what there is room for. Of course, there could still be a liability issue there, even if it is more visible.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 578

Check online for fencing supply companies that sell powder coated steel posts. The outside diameter is important in terms of a cap that will work with your rope. One could also attach an Eye bolt to a standard post cap and run the rope through the eyes.

My deer fencing was purchased from two companies that specialize in this and they have posts can rings that would work for running a rope. The posts are going to be black but they can be spray painted white or some other color.

There is no liability if you install posts on your property and someone drives into them. Lots of 7-Eleven and other stores that have metal posts at the front to protect their front windows and patrons from drunk drivers arriving to get more beer. Gas meters and supply lines are usually protected as well with steel pipes.
ibrewster likes this.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement