Pooling Water Caused By New Grading. Drainage Options - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 05-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 616

Pooling water caused by new grading. Drainage options

We had a frog choker of a storm yesterday. First big rain since my new grading of the slope in front of the house. You can see before and after in the pics below. We actually decreased the slope towards the house, but since I have no vegetation, the water pools at the low point around the square pavers in the 2nd pic below.

The pics below (except the "before" pic) are from this morning. Last night it was about 1-2 inches and scary close to the house. The water would not drain due to the clay soil.

I have a 12" square catch basin at the corner next to the house. However, it's higher than the pooling water so it serves no relief for the pooling water. The catch basin is connected to the downspout to the left, then it routes to a 4" corrugated pipe which catches another downspout over my courtyard, then takes that off to the right to daylight on the right side of the house (about a 5 foot drop end to end).

My quick solution (more rain expected today), is this:

1) Berm up the dirt a bit near the house to create more of a negative slope to keep water from pooling so close to the house.

2) place a linear 4inch wide by 4 foot long surface drain next to the pavers at the low point of the newly created negative slope at grade level. Connect a 3" corrugated pipe from the surface drain over to the corner catch basin. I'll have to cut a hole in the catch basin to run the 3" pipe into it.

That's the quick solution. I'm seeking advice on that as well as a long term solution if there is a better option.

Before excavation:

After excavation (opposite direction from before photo)

Surface drain that is connected to downspouts is in the right corner where the wood wall meets the concrete wall (just under the right side of the window):

Surface drain that's connected to the left downspout and then runs under the courtyard off to the right side:

Inside the surface drain. Hole at top is the inlet for the downspout. Outlet on left connects to the run of 4" corrugated that carries water to daylight.

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 05-21-2017 at 06:11 AM.
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,590

Re: Pooling water caused by new grading. Drainage options

Sorry for the negativity but it looks to be nearly half there so keep digging in honor of the dip stick that built the house at that elevation. Utility lines may be in jeopardy at some point. I would never depend on below grade drainage to keep a house dry because a turd floater will eventually overwhelm it.
Bondo likes this.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
homeimproverjoe (05-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 616

Re: Pooling water caused by new grading. Drainage options

Thanks SS. The below grade drainage is the only option at this point (short term), until I have time to design a surface drainage option.

One option I'm considering as a long term option is sump pumping to the left side and out over the driveway. It's about 40 feet from the concrete patio wall over to the driveway. Once there, there is adequate slope and existing drainage channel to take water away from house.
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement