Ponding Near Foundation Due To Poor Grading - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Question

Ponding near foundation due to poor grading

I'm struggling with finding the correct solution to my problem with water pooling around the foundation of my house due to grading issues. The house is about 100 years old with a crawl space under the entire footprint. The crawls space stays relatively dry after a heavy rain, even when there is a 2-3 inch pool of standing water around parts of the foundation. Even so, I'm looking to correct the issues for a multitude of reasons. Hoping to get some feedback on the proposed solutions I've identified so far:

-Create a drainage swale approx. 10ft out from the foundation, creating positive slope from the existing sidewalk, horseshoe style to divert water toward the back alley/yard area and street out front

-Install a french drain an unknown distance away from the sidewalk to capture water and divert to front/back of lot

-Install a sidewalk the length of the existing one, raised higher by about 2-3 inches, sloping away from the foundation wall, make sure to install an expansion joint between new sidewalk and foundation wall, possibly create drain pan at the end of the slope with barrier and gravel/rock

-Build a retaining wall approx 1ft out from the existing sidewalk, add fill dirt which is sloped away from foundation

Attached are some photos with sketches of the ideas I have
Attached Thumbnails
Ponding near foundation due to poor grading-aerial-veiw.jpg   Ponding near foundation due to poor grading-side-view.jpg   Ponding near foundation due to poor grading-retaining-wall-sketch.jpg   Ponding near foundation due to poor grading-concrete-sidewalk-sketch.jpg   Ponding near foundation due to poor grading-swale-sketch.jpg  

Ponding near foundation due to poor grading-french-drain-sketch.jpg  
Remple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

Re: Ponding near foundation due to poor grading

Regrade around the foundation to slope away and so that water runs away instead of ponding against the foundation.

Don't explicitly create a swale except in those areas where the new downslope away from the house ends up lower than the street. In those areas, slope back up to the street or sidewalk which creates a swale. This is preferable to continuing to slope down away from the house and needing to construct a retaining wall when you get to the existing sidewalk.

Don't bother with French drains in the middle of the yard.
Advertisement