Pole Pruner - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 834

Pole Pruner

Does this pruner look like I would be able to attach a saw to it like most?

Pole Pruner-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1443563296.157321.jpg
Pole Pruner-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1443563309.607960.jpg
Solidify is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,500

You'll need to sharpen the blade really sharp.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,534

Up at the top, near the spring hole, there is a couple of holes or rivets that may have been intended to mount a saw. But not just any old Stanley saw is going to fit. It would have to be the blade that was specifically manufactured to fit that pruner.
Buy a new pruner. A new blade will cut tree limbs with ease. The proper blade has the right tooth pattern to cut the tree limbs, and cuts with the pull stroke.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Up at the top, near the spring hole, there is a couple of holes or rivets that may have been intended to mount a saw. But not just any old Stanley saw is going to fit. It would have to be the blade that was specifically manufactured to fit that pruner.
Buy a new pruner. A new blade will cut tree limbs with ease. The proper blade has the right tooth pattern to cut the tree limbs, and cuts with the pull stroke.

Im asking if it looks like that pole was designed with the possibility of adding the saw on the end if someone wanted to afterwards. Basically im wondering if id be able to find a blade that was specifically manufactured to fit that pruner.. Or it doesnt look like it was intended to have a pull stroke blade added?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,652

All new Pole Saws are required to have Fiberglass Poles. That one is a electrical hazard just waiting for contact with a power line.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
All new Pole Saws are required to have Fiberglass Poles. That one is a electrical hazard just waiting for contact with a power line.

I actually need it to prune a big pear tree that has one side passing through secondary power lines. I do not plan to prune that side with the power lines since my municipality takes care of that. I would simply like to do the rest of the tree. If I exercise caution, will it be safe to use the one I have so long as I don't make direct comtact with the power line and the tool?

I don't prune enough to warrant buying a new one but I'd still like to know how to proceed safely.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 297

The square hole probably aligned with a square hole in the blade with a carriage bolt to keep the blade from moving under load. I'd saw it looks like it had a blade at one time, but your odds of finding a "bolt on" replacement are very low.
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #8

Hm, ok. I'll see if I can find the model number of the pole pruner and find something online.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
..... your odds of finding a "bolt on" replacement are very low.
Detroit Lions have better chance of winning Superbowl.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,500

It may be simpler to purchase a saw, a length of PVC pipe and attach the saw to the pipe.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #11

Standard saw will have teeth that are too fine, will bind on the tree limb, and cut on push stroke rather than pull stroke.

Just got to HD and buy a new, good pruner. You will thank yourself when you use it.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #12

Quick question:

This is my pear tree:

Pole Pruner-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1443639950.483327.jpg

It's peak is about 3 metres lower than the peak of this high voltage line, just to give you an idea of it's height, since I can't really measure it atm:

Pole Pruner-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1443640027.482602.jpg

Are fruit trees supposed to be that tall? I never took care of my trees before now because frankly I didnmt think I had to do such a thing as pruning, nor did I know it existed as a practice. It seems pointless that have fruit growing that high since I can't even access them until they fall off, all rotten and eaten by squirrels and bees.

Is it too late to trim that tree down to a height that is preferable for accessing the fruit? Is it already too mature/tall to take that much off of it? I'm a zero when it comes to tree care so...
Old 09-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidify View Post
I actually need it to prune a big pear tree that has one side passing through secondary power lines. I do not plan to prune that side with the power lines since my municipality takes care of that. I would simply like to do the rest of the tree. If I exercise caution, will it be safe to use the one I have so long as I don't make direct comtact with the power line and the tool?

I don't prune enough to warrant buying a new one but I'd still like to know how to proceed safely.
That is a utility problem. Keep off of the ladder, leave the pruning tool in the garage. Call the Emergency line for the Power company. If the bottom two lines are over grown by the tree. Those would be telephone & catv.

I am surprised that you have not received a notice yet for that tree growing into the utility easement and becoming a electrical hazard.

Around here, they will pretty much hack the tree to death, if it is like your Pear tree.

Last edited by gregzoll; 09-30-2015 at 06:53 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #14

Greg, my municipality only cuts the side of the tree that interferes with the lines. But I'm responsible for the rest.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 188

You may want to consider having an arborist prune and shape the tree for you. While he's there ask for pointers to maintain it. One the tree is reduced in size, it will be easier for you to maintain annually.
Advertisement