Please Inspect My Dry Stack Wall In Process - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 125

please inspect my dry stack wall in process

I have started laying the base course now. Please have a look to see if anything wrong there. My dry stack wall will be 2.5' high, 1' wide and 73' long. The base is about 16" wide. you can find more site photos here. The base is a 4" crushed stone layer. There will be a french drain on the hill about 6' from the wall. So water from the hill will be stopped in that french drain. There is another french drain in front of the wall about 2' from the wall. The wall crushed stone base will be connected with this french drain and water will be drained out by the french drain.

Few questions before I continue:
1. should I fill those small gaps/holes with crushed stone or leave them alone?
2. should I use the same or similiar thickness stone for the base course?
3. The base I laid looks good up to now?
4. I found it is very hard to find enough good cap stone for my 73' long wall. is there a way to cut the stone in order to get more good cap stone?
5. Any suggestion/advice?

I will keep post photos here for your inspection. Please help do it right.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3136.jpg   please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3142.jpg   please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3143.jpg   please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3144.jpg   please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3145.jpg  

please inspect my dry stack wall in process-frenchdrain2a.jpg  

Last edited by diy001; 07-02-2011 at 08:09 PM.
diy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I don't know much about stone work----However that is looking good --solid base and well laid.

I think most folks are at a BBQ-----Mike---
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Excellent idea - I love the look of dry stack!

My only suggestions would be to use your largest flattest stones for your footing, and make sure it's wider than your 1st course. It would also be good to slope the footing slightly toward the centre of the wall on any free ends. Back-filling the footing with crusher run shouldn't be necessary, but I don't think it would hurt (I'd tamp it in in well if you do).

Also, save your best (squarest) stones for the corners - stones with rounded edges can easily be anchored in the field using smaller stones to lock them in place, but they're really hard to work with on corners.

Lastly, it would be best to orient oblong stones so that their long axis faces into the wall (probably doesn't matter so much in the base course though).

Edited to add: depending on what sort of rock your working with, you might be able to "cut" slabs for capstone by splitting the rock along natural fractures or cleavage planes (takes a little practice, but easy to do once you get a feel for it). If your working with rock that doesn't split cleanly you could use a large diamond wet saw (foolproof but messy and you're left with a sawed edge to hide), if you have to go this route you might be able to get a local granite counter fabricator to cut it for you (not sure what this would cost, but way cheaper than buying a big wet saw).

Last edited by jules4; 07-02-2011 at 10:31 PM.
jules4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jules4 For This Useful Post:
diy001 (07-02-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I think most folks are at a BBQ-----Mike---
watching fireworks now.
The Following User Says Thank You to diy001 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Grab a concrete saw to cut the stone. They cost quite a lot though so try a rental store first, shouldn't cost too much to pick one up for a day.
Hatsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Masonry is something I really admire---perhaps because I have never been very good at.--Mike---
Old 07-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #7

I have put all first course stones down and i will fill those small gap with crushed stone tomorrow and continue on second course then.
Attached Thumbnails
please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3241.jpg   please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3255.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #8

Should I fill in those holes with crushed stone?

Now I am in the process to lay the second course. Do I need to fill in those holes? with crushed stone?
Attached Thumbnails
please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3297.jpg   please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3300.jpg   please inspect my dry stack wall in process-img_3301.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Should I fill in those holes with crushed stone?

Yes, just as you would fill the gaps behind the wall with crushed stone, fill any gaps between the stones with crushed stone. You can also use the rubble, or smaller pieces of stone for filling these gaps. 'Back-building' the wall with rubble and gravel is important, as it will assist in the integrity of the wall.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GardenConcepts For This Useful Post:
diy001 (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #10

how to use different thickness stone?

If I want to keep adjacent stone level for next course to do 1 over 2 and 2 over 1, I found it will make me build a relatively levelled course. Then I have to use the same or similar thickness stones. My wall is about 73' long. I am worry it will be hard to find similar thickness stone later. Should I always keep adjacent stone level? I know I can use very thick stone to change to a new thickness level but the final result is the same, I think.

Last edited by diy001; 07-16-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement