Pavers, Floating Deck, Or Something Else (PICS) - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

pavers, floating deck, or something else (PICS)

Hello everyone, I am new here, and would appreciate some input.

We bought our house about 6 months ago and since the weather has become nice we have been doing some landscaping. We started in front of the house.

This is what it used to look like:
"

We got rid of all the shrubs and nasty trees etc. The old home owner didnt do much trimming, and this is what it looks like now:

We had that big space infront of the window and decide to fence it in with a picket fence to make a sitting area. We are planing on making a little flower bed infront of it like the one on the right side. But inside the fence is where I am not sure what to do:

I was originally thinking pavers, but thats a lot of digging, and there are still roots left over from that nasty shrubs we ripped out.

Then I thought floating deck, much less digging and leveling, but not sure how to incorporate it with the fence.

Maybe there is a third option.

ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED.
DIY_GUY_419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

Looking good. Did you paint too or is that just the lighting? It looks green in the first picture but blue in the others.

In regards to that area, I think pavers or some kind of stone would look best there. I don't think a deck would look right in that space.
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

No we didnt paint, its just the lighting.

I was watching some DIY paver videos, you have to excavate like 6 or 7 inches.

Not sure if im up for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Custom User Title

If you do a deck, you'll need to dig several feet for the posts. Plus, you will be coming up off the ground 7-8 inches, at least. That will make your fence look too low. It sounds like some kind of decorative stones will be your best bet.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Well, I was thinking about putting a floating deck, on concrete piers. It would be about 4 inches off the ground.

Low profile floating deck? What are your thoughts?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Custom User Title

So you'd just rest the piers on top of the surface? 4"s off the ground, plus whatever joist size you need to make it adequate. My guess is 2x8 since I think 2x6 for joists aren't allowed. That would bring your top of deck elevation up at LEAST 10", if not more. How tall is that fence? Looks to be about 36" or so. I think it would look silly.

Where are you located? Do you need a permit where you are located?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #7

Good points,
If I were to go the floating deck route I would dig small holes for the piers so they are at about ground level, or get concrete pavers instead of piers. then i would find the lowest joists.
The entire area is only 9x14.
Im in Ohio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement