Paver Stones Or Cement? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 33

Paver stones or cement?

What would be best for my 16x16 patio area? I've haven't done either job before but have done a good amount of DIY home stuff. Sounds like paving stones require a lot more pre-work than concrete. Paver stones may look nicer... concrete and paving stones seem to be about the same price here, maybe the concrete is a little cheaper. We like the looks of both so now I'm down to choosing the one that has the highest chance of being a total success.

I'm starting from my rough grade, new house.

Thanks.
recklessrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 544

concrete. Just build a form. Paver stones is all about proper prep. Which can be a real pain in the ass. Especially if you don't have all the rite equipment. I have a concrete patio. I like it. I just hit it with the leaf blower to keep it looking nice. Occasionally i hose it down.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is not a DIY project but look into stamped concrete. Or stained and patterned concrete. Or a combination. Concrete stamps come in hundreds of patterns.

You might also look into the high end rubber pavers used by horse farms and tracks that you can put over concrete. They come in all kinds of colors, patterns and their even rubber pavers that look like cobblestones.

One nice thing about concrete is that, with adequate expansion joints, it will heave as a unit. Not much at all if nicely poured.

Your profile does not indicate where you live. Pavers, if not installed properly can be a real problem in ground freeze environments.

Last edited by user1007; 06-03-2013 at 08:56 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Your profile does not indicate where you live. Pavers, if not installed properly can be a real problem in ground freeze environments.
My bad, I'll have to update that. I'm in central Canada so you could say that there is a bit of ground freeze/thaw
Old 06-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,042

With concrete if it's not properly installed,there's a very good chance it will eventually crack,with pavers if properly installed you avoid that problem,and if you do have a problem they can be reset,not so with concrete.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
With concrete if it's not properly installed,there's a very good chance it will eventually crack,with pavers if properly installed you avoid that problem,and if you do have a problem they can be reset,not so with concrete.
Where I am, concrete ALWAYS cracks. I have a 9 month old, $8700 driveway done by one if the best places in the city and it didn't make the winter/spring cycle without cracking in two places. So I'd expect a patio in my back yard to crack on me... I'm thinking there is more chance of me getting the prep work right (I have access to people who've done concrete work before) with concrete... Cold winters and 100% clay soil, hard on outdoor stuff.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Canada eh? A deck is out of the question? The simulated wood products out these days are amazing. Can't wait to redo my deck and never have to stain again.
Tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tatertot For This Useful Post:
Two Knots (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatertot View Post
Canada eh? A deck is out of the question? The simulated wood products out these days are amazing. Can't wait to redo my deck and never have to stain again.
I actually just built a deck in the yard using composite boards and aluminum railing. It nice... Not cheap here though. The deck is 6' up so the patio is going to serve as our lower, more private, dining area.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 254

concrete is easier but if you never have messed with it before it might be hard. For that area you will need a cement truck or a mix on site type of rig and a lot of helpers with wheel barrels.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwgsx View Post
concrete is easier but if you never have messed with it before it might be hard. For that area you will need a cement truck or a mix on site type of rig and a lot of helpers with wheel barrels.
I'd get a cement truck for sure. A guy at work here has done some cement work, added a 3rd pad to his driveway, patio work so I was going to get him to give me a hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement