Paver Patio On Top Of Roots - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Paver patio on top of roots

I'm looking to convert the majority of my backyard from failing grass/mud to some sort of solid surface. Pavers seemed like a good option but I'm still open to a concrete pour as well depending on how the cost fleshes out. Regardless the problem that's come up is that the soil here in coastal VA tends to encourage tree roots to spread out very far and very shallow. My initial attempts to begin digging out the area where I'd like to lay something down were quickly thwarted by root after root after root. Beyond that I'm also running into the issue that my backyard's highest point is in its very middle and the mass of dirt I'm going to need to remove to create a level base 12" deep is going to be huge. I have access to a Kubota tractor to help out with excavation but I'm still left wondering if maybe a better option would be to simply build up a bit higher instead of digging so far down. I dont know if I just slaughter all these roots whether they're going to end up just finding their way back into my base and causing issues. Has anyone dealt with a patio on top of similar conditions?
SLH350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,926

Re: Paver patio on top of roots

I dealt with patio pavers being uplifted by the trees planted in a huge outside dining patio for 10 years with their roots a rooting..not fun...

Short of taking out the trees, yes, the roots will lift up any loose laid pavers. Unless one pours a concrete slab for them. (double $$$$ spent) So the higher up your patio can be, the better future root penetration prevention can be and the better the future outcome will be. JMO

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 02-19-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
but I'm still left wondering if maybe a better option would be to simply build up a bit higher instead of digging so far down.
Ayuh,.... That'll depend on the local grades, where the water drains to now, 'n where ya want the water to drain to, when done,......

'n ya Never, Ever want Dead Level,....
A tiny bit of pitch is how ya control the water drainage,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

It's a waste of time if you don't remove the roots first & you can't do that by hand. At the very least a stump grinder is needed.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement