Paver Patio Over Existing Patio Questions - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Paver Patio over Existing Patio Questions

Hi All,

I am planning a patio project, and would like to know if there are any fundamental flaws in my current plan/design. There is an existing 10x10 concrete patio that I want to install 2in thick pavers(concrete bricks) over, eventually having overall dimentions of 16x20. I would really not rather tearing up the concrete. I have 3.5 inches of clearance before the patio is too high for the existing doorway.

My plan was to excavate about 6 inches down and add/compact fines to achieve a height equal with the existing patio, then add about an inch of sand and place the pavers on top of that, with all the tamping/compacting of pavers and polymetric sand included. Is this a good plan?

Some alternatives I thought of was to have about an inch of fines on top of the existing patio to ensure an even transition from the existing patio area to the area where there was no concrete. Then adding about a half an inch of sand to lay the pavers on top of. My only concern would be the fines not being able to compact being an inch thick on top of concrete. Is this a legitimate concern?

I just want to ensure that there will be no visible transition from where the old patio met the ground. If it is any help, the pavers I will be using are fairly large, a mixture of 3 sizes(14x21, 14x14, and 7x14)Thanks for the help!
tommyd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 82

your top sand will compact about a 1/4" so its going to be tough to make that transaction completely even and smooth but it can certainly be done.

There is also no issue putting your compacted base up to the same height as existing patio then covering everything with an even amount of sand and then everything will compact evenly. If you have the clearance to do it go for it!
barnabas131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement