Paver Installation Question - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 61

Paver installation question

Want to remove pavers from the backyard that a previous owner installed and use some to border my narrow driveway. Basically intend to make it wider to walk on, not to drive on.

Haven't measured it out yet, but to get an idea, 12 feet by 2-4 feet wide.

I figured I would edge the pavers with those paver edging and stakes. I'd fill joints with paver sand.

Question is how vital is it to dig 6-8" and use gravel, then sand, then pavers? For simply walking on them, is a shallow base of just sand adequate or no?

I've installed a garden border with stone before. Without and researching, my method was simply dig out the border to make a level base and set the stones. I pounded them into dirt with a dead blow hammer and they stayed put for the next year. Of course these weren't walked on regularly.

I just wondered if for a simple walkway if gravel and tramping is necessary? I want it to last, just trying to minimize out of pocket costs because all the projects around the house are draining the accounts.

Thanks!
t1snwbrdr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,348

If you want any water to drain away, and not puddle on this walkway, the gravel is a must. As well as compacting it correctly, to keep the pavers in place next to a driveway. There is always someone that cannot back up in a straight line to save their "donkey". And will wander off the edge.

There should be plenty of gravel under the pavers in your backyard if they were installed correctly, you will need to get fill to re grade the yard when you remove the pavers anyway, so why not take the gravel too.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 304

Alot depends on soil conditions and moisture and freeze thaw cycles. I tried it once and it work so-so. It started to sink a little in a middle after a year. I even used a poor mans tamper. (Use truck to drive over it) Its been 5 years and it is on my list of things to fix.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 996

i did a very small walkway, say, 20" x 6'. it sank a little. but, this was in a low damp spot.

if you are low on funds, just try it. and know that you may have to fix it in the future.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

If it is to widen an existing driveway, the pavers should be put in with a proper compacted base (6" or so) a 1" sand setting bed, just as paver driveway or street would have.

As long as it looks like a part of the driveway someone with drive over it and park a couple of wheels on it and cause settlement that allows water to collect until it is replaced. - Settled pavers plus water collection is a recipe for a failure.

For a DIYer, it is no problem but just a little more base material and work so get something good out of your "free" labor. If it was me, I would do both sides of the drive(if possible).

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,892

As long as your not OCD.....it's fine.

If your OCD.....in 2-3 weeks the pavers will start to move...and every time you look at it you will just hate it. It won't be long before you get a chair and a cold beer and sit down looking that the uneven pavers saying to yourself "I should have listened to them".

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement