Patio W/ Hot Tub - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patio w/ hot tub

So I recently bought a house and the GF's family is donating their old hot tub to me. Its high on my priority list to get this going. The Patio I currently have i believe sits to high on the house as the door in the pictures has water rot.

I'd like to get a patio thatd be flush with the drive so it could double as a turn around to back into the detached garage.

One of the major considerations here is the gigantic tree in the center of the yard. Id Like to place the hot tub between the exterior door and the tree.

Obviously Id like this to look nice as Id want to add to resale value in approximately 5-6 years.

Any Suggestions on Concrete vs pavers, or even ideas on decking it? Im having trouble coming up with a creative solution. Id need to extend the base closer to the tree. Im worried about killing it. the hot tub is 7x7. the sidewalk portion of the patio is not level with the main concrete pad. so itd need to redone anyway.

That planter box is definitely coming out.

Last edited by nhoc6131; 07-19-2011 at 12:51 AM.
nhoc6131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Willing to listen

Rewards Points: 223

My $0.02 is yeah you are going to have issues working around that tree, like they always say look at the canopy width and that is how far the root system is approximately spread out. I would find a good concrete contractor and rely on his advice regarding reconfiguring to correct the grade by the door and connecting to the drive.

What you may need to do is be flexible with the spa location, like consider more of a temporary spot if you have some place level. There are some pretty solid spa pads that can be used over level ground, or folks will often build a pressure treated 2 x 6 frame and fill it small compacted gravel in order to create a level area to place the tub. These options at least let you just clear it all away later on for resale. Good luck!
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #3

Yeah I figured I'd need a good contractor. I was just trying to get a visual for myself of what would be best.

I guess Im just not sure what would be best. By the pictures does the patio look too high on the house?

If I lower the slab it will be below ground level as the ground is flush with the current slab.

Id like to try and get everything right the first time as I dont want to have to keep moving the electrical around for the spa as thats big bucks.
nhoc6131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 818

I agree with the root/tree issues. That will be present with concrete or pavers. We ran into a root while installing a paver patio and decided to raise it using retaining wall block. Not sure if you want to raise it in your case.

Another option is to build a wooden deck that would support the hot tub.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #5

hot tub

I recently purchased a hot tub and built a wooden deck for it as we have many trees. We placed it at the back of a concrete paver patio with steps up to the platform and landscaped around it. I wasn't sure how it would look, but it turned out really nice and I didn't have to worry about killing any of the trees around it. I have had no problems with it being level.
cunnyngham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement