Patio Paver Questions - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Patio Paver Questions

Hi all,

I've received so much good advice from here, that sometimes I just want to verify my methods before I start. There is so much info online about home projects, it's tough to get a straight answer.

PROJECT
I'm laying a 435 sq foot paver patio using 16 x 16 square stepping stones with a 2-inch gap in between each.

PROCESS
Step 1: Had the ground graded and leveled.

Step 2: I've read that there are two options, either 4 inches of gravel or 4 inches of paver base. Which is better? Preferred?

Step 3: One inch of sand on top of gravel/paver base. (One method I read showed the placement of 1-inch rebar to help level. Do you pull the rebar out after? Or leave it in?)

Step 4: Lay the pavers.

Step 5: Fill the gaps with pea gravel. (What's the best way to estimate how much pea gravel we need to fill the gaps?)

One final question, should I sweep in sand or the polymeric sand with the pea gravel? Will that give a stronger bond and keep the gravel from being kicked out?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
lrriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,256

Re: Patio Paver Questions

Quote:
PROCESS
Ayuh,.... I pave with asphalt rather than funny lookin' bricks,... But,.....

Ya don't want a Level patio,....

Ya want a Flat patio, with pitch, to get rid of water,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear but the grading has been done. The ground is sloped away from the house and garage.
lrriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,524

I can help you with the pea gravel question.

16 x 16 =A sq inches / 144 = B sq ft.

18 x 18 =C sq inches / 144 = D sq ft.

435 sq ft / D sq ft= total stones needed X B sq ft.= sq ft of stones

435 - sq. ft of stone = sq feet of pea gravel. x .165 = cubic feet of pea gravel if the stones are 2" thick
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 366

Not a pro, but I'll jump in.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrriley View Post
Step 2: I've read that there are two options, either 4 inches of gravel or 4 inches of paver base. Which is better? Preferred?
I thought paver base WAS gravel? Either way, you are trying to add a layer of hard *stuff* that can be tamped down good-and-solid ("compacted") as part of the foundation for the patio. I find that is kind of varies with geography, places with more rain / frost tend to use deeper bases.

Quote:
Step 3: One inch of sand on top of gravel/paver base. (One method I read showed the placement of 1-inch rebar to help level. Do you pull the rebar out after? Or leave it in?)
I believe the rebar is being used to help control depth of the sand during placement. The rebar can be pulled out.
Paultergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #6

Patio Paver Questions

The rebar has to be pulled out because it won't compress at all under the weight of pavers and people while the surrounding sand will compress. If the rebar is left in it will be a high spot and you don't want high spots. You want a uniform layer of sand.

ETA: You can use rebar or EMT. Both are rigid enough to span low spots in the gravel. When you screed the sand using the EMT to support the screed board, you'll end up with sand that doesn't have all of the bumps and dips that the gravel base might have.

Last edited by abrowning; 08-03-2017 at 11:13 AM.
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Hi all,

I've received so much good advice from here, that sometimes I just want to verify my methods before I start. There is so much info online about home projects, it's tough to get a straight answer.

PROJECT
I'm laying a 435 sq foot paver patio using 16 x 16 square stepping stones with a 2-inch gap in between each.

PROCESS

Step 4: Lay the pavers.

Step 5: Fill the gaps with pea gravel. (What's the best way to estimate how much pea gravel we need to fill the gaps?)

One final question, should I sweep in sand or the polymeric sand with the pea gravel? Will that give a stronger bond and keep the gravel from being kicked out?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Step 2 Limestone will compact better than gravel, when your finished compacting the stone, lay a good quality weed barrier on top.

Step 3 Ditch the rebar, and use either EMT or Plastic pipe to grade the sand, pull it back as you go and fill the void with sand and trowel it flat .

Step 5 You'll probably rue the day you put the pea gravel in, but it's your call.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #8

Patio Paver Questions

I don't know what form your base gravel comes in: bags or by the truckload. For something as large as 400 square feet I'd be getting a small dump truck load.

I go to a local dealer of pavers, not a big box store. They have a better paver selection and if you give them the square footage and depth of the base you want they will drop off the necessary number of yards in your driveway. Same with the sand. Same with the pavers. The delivery fee is well worth it. It has to be cheaper than any by-the-bag approach, too.

The base they recommend is called processed 3/4" gravel. It's angular pieces from 3/4" all the way down to dust. After you run a plate compacter over it a few times you need a pick axe to dig through it. It is solid with no gaps which is exactly what's needed because you don't want the sand layer that goes on top to find gaps in the base layer to pour into. That would undermine the pavers.

As I recall, my backyard patio required over seven tons of gravel. I'm glad I didn't have to do that a bag at a time... load them on the cart, load them on the truck, take them off the truck, haul them to the backyard. It's the difference between moving that weight four times versus moving it once.
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
patio