Patio Base - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Patio base

Money is tight right now and I am replacing my patio. Contractor says that the old base is good enough. It might be 20 or 40 years old - I really don't know how old it is. The old stones had started shifting.

I had someone come in and remove all the stones and "fluff" up the gravel and then he did a very quick compacting job that I'm not sure if it was adequate. The surface sat uncovered and got rained on a lot in the last 2 months. That's why the contractor says it is fine because it is quite firm. Do you think it is safe to put on the new stones with the patio base the way it is? I'm worried it will start shifting in a year or two. It is not very thick. I am thinking somewhere between one and three inches thick only. I live in Ontario in Canada if you need to know due to frost/freezing conditions which may affect base.
Bbunny100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Patio base

The rain will have compacted the soils perfectly fine.
When the schedule allows, I use a garden sprinkler for compacting soil under slabs all the time. The water does a better job than a tamper, IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
Gbunny100 (08-29-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

What is the definition of the "new" stones? Patio stones?, stepping stones? or interlocking concrete paving stones?

What kind of soil are you trying to put a "new" patio on? - Each type requires different levels of compaction and drainage.

Water can do wonders in some cases, while in other cases it creates an endless morass with no support or stability that leaves you wondering why or how.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
What is the definition of the "new" stones? Patio stones?, stepping stones? or interlocking concrete paving stones?

What kind of soil are you trying to put a "new" patio on? - Each type requires different levels of compaction and drainage.

Water can do wonders in some cases, while in other cases it creates an endless morass with no support or stability that leaves you wondering why or how.

Dick
I am getting pavers. Not sure what kind of soil I have. The contractor is adamant that the current base is good enough.
Gbunny100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement