Overseeded But Leaves Are Falling Quick - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 265

Overseeded but leaves are falling quick

I have a dilemma and certainly I'm not the first, but could use some advice.
I ran my tow-behind dethatcher over the yard 3 times and used the lawn sweeper each time after dethatching, so I really cleaned it up nice. I overseeded yesterday and have been watering it (although the dew has been nice in the morning).

The problem is that the leaves are coming quick and rapidly covering the lawn. Within a few more days, the lawn will be mostly covered and I don't want this to affect germination. I cut the grass pretty low so I won't need to mow until the new seed germinates and grows a bit, but am I safe to run the lawn sweeper over the yard if I set it high enough? I don't want to impact any of the new seeds I have down.

Thanks.
phuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,467

I am from a few miles south so consider that in my reply.

IMO, a coating of leaves during the germination process is not a problem. allowing them to block the sunlight once there are some shoots probably is a problem. Leaves can smother an established lawn.

I do not drive power equipment over a newly seeded area. I don't use the rider until the grass is mowed 3 times. A yard blower is the tool I use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

Kinda risky to do all that work and overseed so late in the year. You should seed 4 weeks prior to first frost in order to get the new grass established and mowed before it freezes. My almanac is showing a 50% chance of first frost in your area on October 15. That basically means you have a 50% chance of having the grass survive over the winter. Worst comes to worse you can overseed again in the spring. Personally I'd cover that lawn with 1/4" of peet moss to give your grass the best chance of survival.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
I am from a few miles south so consider that in my reply.

IMO, a coating of leaves during the germination process is not a problem. allowing them to block the sunlight once there are some shoots probably is a problem. Leaves can smother an established lawn.

I do not drive power equipment over a newly seeded area. I don't use the rider until the grass is mowed 3 times. A yard blower is the tool I use.
Good advice, except I don't even walk on a lawn renovation from germination (around day 7) until day 21.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parsec For This Useful Post:
Colbyt (10-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 410

It is going to get a little chilly this weekend in pa. I planted some seed as well and I just hose the area down good at night. Between the heat in the ground and the moist soil, it doesn't frost
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
It is going to get a little chilly this weekend in pa. I planted some seed as well and I just hose the area down good at night. Between the heat in the ground and the moist soil, it doesn't frost
So that's a no-go for taking the sweeper out to collect the leaves?
phuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 410

I think you will be fine with a lawn sweeper. Take a few passes and see if it disturbs your seed
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement