Oak Tree Root Issue - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Oak tree root issue

Due to oak tree roots raising a section of the concrete sidewalk at the front door, I decided to remove two of the uplifted concrete sections and plan to rebuild the walk with gravel. Some of the roots further away from the entrance will need to be trimmed (or actually shaved off rather than cut out completely) in order to ensure the tops of the roots will remain under the surface of the new walkway. This will not be a major issue.

However, a large root runs directly in front of the concrete pad at the entryway to the front porch. See the attached photo. Due to the tight space between this root and the front door, and the overhanging porch, there is no effective way to create a bridge.

Obviously, completely cutting out this section of root will likely have a negative impact on the future health of the tree, which is probably over 50 years old. My question is this: If I actually "shave off" (using a sawzall or similar tool) the length of the root that extends above the concrete pad, will this be less detrimental to the health of the tree, since at least half the root will remain in place underneath the new walkway?

At some point I will have the tree taken down altogether, but that's a huge expense for another day in the future. I am trying to find a compromise solution to fix the problem as it is right now.

Thanks for anyone's professional or experienced input!
Attached Thumbnails
Oak tree root issue-oak-root.jpg  
ggano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,804

Re: Oak tree root issue

An arborist would measure the diameter of the tree and use that to come up with a distance that it is safe to cut the root out.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement