No Good Place For Downspout - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 05-31-2017, 06:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 616

No good place for downspout

See pic below. Problem is the middle downspout at the corner where the wood meets brick. The grade where this downspout hits the ground is only an inch higher than the top of the pipe where it daylights at the drive. I don't believe that's enough pitch to cover the 30 feet of run along the garage wall.

If I can somehow wrap the downspout around that wood wall so that the place where it meets grade is at the corner, it gives me another 3 inches of grade height over its current location.

So, the way I see it there are a few options to accomplish this:

1) Cut the downspout off at the bottom and raise the elbow above grade where it currently sits. This would expose the drain elbow and piping above grade (not ideal for looks)

2) Remove the downspout and plumb a 3 inch PVC gutter that 90's from the gutter back to the inside corner where I have the 3 inch grade advantage.

3) Leave the downspout where it is and run it into the channel drain that sits in front of it (at the risk of overflowing the channel drain)

Thoughts?

homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017, 06:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,122

Re: No good place for downspout

Yes, one inch doesn't sound like enough. One thought would be to create a larger head/drop by directing that downspout into a container, kind of like a rain bucket. But an extra foot of height would be a great improvement over 1". Hide it in the center of a planter

Bud
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
homeimproverjoe (06-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #3

As a first pass, I've just cut 8 inches off the downspout in order to raise the elbow above grade to keep standing water out of the elbow. Since the PVC-to-Corrugated connection is not water tight, having the elbow lower results in seepage into the ground along the house which is obviously not a good thing.

I'm going to do a water test this afternoon to check the flow and note any seepage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,122

Just checking, but is that corrugated also perforated? Some can be.
Just noticed on a new building in town that they brought the downspouts down into a 4' length of pipe that went through the sidewalk. Their approach was probably needed to protect the downspout but it could also provide a head of water to encourage the drainage to go where you want it. Fortunately you are not in a frost prone area so shallow drains can work.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #5

The pipe is 4 inch non-perforated NDS black corrugated. There are three 10 foot sections that are taped together (2 inch pipe tape - basically wide electrical tape) to make the seals somewhat watertight (not under pressure). The pipe is buried and running along the brick wall where it connects to the last downspout, then to a 4" thin wall PVC that daylights at the driveway.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,330

I don't think you're going to have a problem....well, at least not with the slope.

Your bigger issue is the tamped joints. I doubt they will last a year.

As it rains harder, the water coming down the spout will just push the water down the pipe. Even if any water does leak around the entrance to the pipe, it will be less than any rain fall blowing in.

I think your going to have bigger issues with run off from that slopped yard.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I think your going to have bigger issues with run off from that sloped yard.
Yes, that's why there is a 12 foot channel drain there. No more issues with run off now that it has an exit path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement