New Sprinkler System - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 182

New sprinkler system

Hi i am installing a new sprinkler system in my new house and i am not an irrigation sprinkler system expert so i would like some feed back and suggestions on proposed sprinkler system set up.

My water will be from a well, at 61 PSI, 15 GMP.
I am proposing 3 zones, 1 front of the house and two in the back. I am looking to go with Hunter's PGP-04 PRB but looking at the sprinkler specks i would like to use the 3.0 nozzle to get 35 ft radius but when i look at the sprinkler specs is see SPI say for 3.0, PSI-25, Radius - 35, GPM flow - 2.2, this doesn't fit my wells pump PSI of 61. Would this be ok or do I need to add more zones and sprinklers, different sprinklers?

Also the main water lines can be 1 inch and the lines from the main line to the sprinklers can be 1/2 inch or can they be all 1" from the main line to the sprinklers?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HouseSprinklers2.pdf (91.3 KB, 36 views)
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,534

Re: New sprinkler system

I am no expert either, but I have a couple of observations.

-my back yard is 65' x 65' and I have 3 zones for it. Adequate, but I would not use any less for that area. I did not calculate the area, but seems like you have a lot of land. I have 8 zones total. ( Although several zones are pop-ups for smaller/irregular areas. )

-Your pump provides 61 psi and 15GPM. Is that 61 psi while delivering 15 GPM, or 61 PSI static and maximum flow of 15 GPM. Pressure is going to drop when flow is wide open.

-My system was professionally installed. They were not high end landscapers, but it was all 1" tube, except they typically ran a smaller (1/2" or 5/8") pigtail by about 20" long to the sprinkler head. I have PGP rotors.

The 1" is way too heavy to be able to easily adjust the position/angle of the head, but if you run 15' of half inch, you are going to get a substantial pressure drop.

Last edited by SPS-1; 07-06-2018 at 04:51 PM.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 818

As SPS said, you're probably going to want more than 3 zones. I'm guessing you need at least 6, maybe 8. You are much better off they have too many zones and too few. The PGP rotors are certainly some of the best out there. You may also want to add some pop ups (on a separate zone) for shrubbery, flowers etc. I'm on city water, number pressure is 70 psi was a wide-open flow rate of about 18- 20 GPM yet I still have only a maximum of 4 heads (PGP rotors) on any given zone.

As far as piping goes, run everything with the 1" and then just put short <2' flexible leaders off of that to each head. What kind of controller are you looking at? Your best bet is to get one of the new ones that you control via Wi-Fi from your computer or smart phone. They also can be set up to look at the weather forecast and adjust sprinkler timing accordingly.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 09:01 AM   #4

Yes, 3 PGP rotors on most zones, 4 on a couple of zones is what I have. Four max per zone sounds like a good rule of thumb.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #5

So after read some of the responses i have changed my sprinkler layout plan. I plan on going with the same sprinkler but now i am doing 4 zones in the back and 2 in the front (zone1& 2 will have 5 sprinklers), 1" pipe through out. I am hoping to get 32' radius of water for most of the back, then 25-17 on others. Do you guys see any issue with my proposal of getting 32 ft, 25 & 17 radius with these sprinklers?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HouseSprinklers2.pdf (77.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

I don't see any show-stoppers, but I am no expert. There are a couple of spots (i.e between zones 4 and 5, possibly a deck -- and the inside corner in the front, that don't look quite right, but its not obvious to me how it should be done better.

Not sure how rough your schematic is supposed to be, but does not look like you have a plan for the solenoid valves. You would have a box with 2 solenoid valves in the front, and a box with 4 valves in the back.
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
2Quiker (07-12-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 818

Overall your new layout looks pretty good although I think you could get away with 4 heads on zones 2 & 3. Also, don't you have shrubbery in some areas? If so you probably want to cover them with pop-up heads instead of rotators and put them on a separate zone also.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I don't see any show-stoppers, but I am no expert. There are a couple of spots (i.e between zones 4 and 5, possibly a deck -- and the inside corner in the front, that don't look quite right, but its not obvious to me how it should be done better.

Not sure how rough your schematic is supposed to be, but does not look like you have a plan for the solenoid valves. You would have a box with 2 solenoid valves in the front, and a box with 4 valves in the back.

Ya i fix it, i think. ha ha
Thanks
Old 07-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Overall your new layout looks pretty good although I think you could get away with 4 heads on zones 2 & 3. Also, don't you have shrubbery in some areas? If so you probably want to cover them with pop-up heads instead of rotators and put them on a separate zone also.

I don't haven any plans for shrub but i have considered running extra pipe to some areas just in case one day i do. Ya i thought about doing 4 head on zone 2, i currently have 4 heads on zone 3.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #10

My well guy put a stub out of 1 1/4" for the sprinklers and after looking at some prices for a 1 1/4" and 1" backflow preventer there's almost about a $200 difference between the two. I am thinking of going with the 1" and running 1" pipe through all. Thoughts on going with a 1" vs a 1 1/4" blackflow preventer?

Backflow Preventers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement