New Sod Care: - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

New Sod Care:

Disclaimer, someone is installing the sod for me.

After installing sod I am sure light walking is fine, I know people walk it to water the sod. We are putting sod around a pool in an area that used to be concrete. They already removed the concrete and put in some new soil. At what point can careful adults put a lounge chair(s) out and walk normally on the grass? I can/will remove the chairs after using them so no issues with sun. As soon as it takes root is it good to go or do the roots gradually get stronger over a period of 2? 3? 4? weeks?

What is the time-table for when it it becomes like the rest of my yard?

Also. I know people say it should be totally level. Its soil so obviously its not smooth like an ice skating rink, but isn't it raked/tilled before sod is installed? How level do they mean? I feel like there are inch/half inch variations every where. I worry it's pitched towards the pool.
Richardya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 576

Re: New Sod Care:

Where are you located. How much soil was added and what is the composition of the soil. It should be pitched away from the pool, about a 1/4 inch per running foot. How thick is the sod and is it appropriate for your area.........

Is this a friend or a pro doing the work. You need lots more info.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,592

@Richardya welcome!

As @Cedrus points out, there's a lot of questions that will need to be answered to provide proper guidance. Where you are is a big thing (city, state), because that will, in large part, determine what kind of grass you have based on the climate. Some grass is very tough and roots right in; others, a lot less so.

Do advise and maybe some pictures, to ooh and ah over?
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #4

Location is NorthEast, Long Island NY.
The guy putting in the sod is a landscaper/gardener and he said he has done sod many times. My worry stems from the fact that he is "lenient" in terms of other things I have mentioned regarding sod. I mentioned not walking on it, he says it's not a big deal, I mentioned watering three times a day, he says two is enough, I mention keeping it level and he doesn't seem overly concerned. I mentioned we should see little roots coming out of the bottom of the bought sod and he said, no.

It could be because I am watching videos on other types of grass in other parts of the country and I am clueless.

In terms of details, I only know he put down some top soil and fertilizer. It was about 4 inches of soil that is over dead dirt. The sample sod itself looks like an inch +/- of dirt under the grass portion. I think I can get a picture of the sample sod but it is dead now, was never put down.

My main concern is the pitch level. I will get you better pictures but essentially all around pool it seems flat but the main sitting area (by shed) seems raised, which the opposite of what it should be, it should be lower there.

https://imgur.com/a/L2cWiGx

The property itself is slopped. But they built the pool on a flat part. What happens if there is not pitch? The water is not absorbed by soil? It will roll into pool? It will accumulate by cement under ground?

Last edited by Richardya; 08-22-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardya View Post
Location is NorthEast, Long Island NY.
The guy putting in the sod is a landscaper/gardener and he said he has done sod many times. My worry stems from the fact that he is "lenient" in terms of other things I have mentioned regarding sod. I mentioned not walking on it, he says it's not a big deal, I mentioned watering three times a day, he says two is enough, I mention keeping it level and he doesn't seem overly concerned. I mentioned we should see little roots coming out of the bottom of the sod we buy and he said no.

It could be because I am watching videos on other types of grass in other parts of the country.

In terms of details, I only know he put down some top soil and fertilizer. It was about 4 inches of soil that is over dead dirt. The sample sod itself looks like an inch +/- of dirt under the grass portion.

My main concern is the pitch level. I will get you better pictures but essentially all around pool it seems flat but the main sitting area (by shed) seems raised.

https://imgur.com/a/L2cWiGx

The property itself is slopped. But they built the pool on a flat part. What happens if there is not pitch? The water is not absorbed by soil? It will roll into pool? It will accumulate by cement under ground?
I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts you've got Kentucky Blue Grass sod. I'd be inclined to go easy on the walking for a while, but keep in mind I might have been out here too long. (KBG is hard out here, compared to Long Guy Land.) I'm originally from Ohio, so I know a bit about KBG, oh yeah.

I think as long as your soil's reasonably well-tilled, and moist, you shouldn't have any worries about runoff. Water will soak right in. You'll see that soon enough in a rainstorm.

On balance, I'd say your gardener's advice is on target; Long Guy Land is just about an ideal climate for lawns in general. Again, to be safe, keep the walking to a minimum so far.

How about a picture? Or two?

Obviously, if anyone from your 'hood has advice contrary to mine, accept theirs, and I'll duly note as well. Good luck!
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #6

Appreciate all thoughts, thank you Dave, I will get pictures that are specific and have good angles. That was just what was on my phone. The imagur link is a photo. I cant upload pictures to this site.

I can't wait for the sod. The pool took forever to get running (new home) and its already the end of August.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,540

I have put down KBG a few times and never worried about walking on it at all. Only thing to worry about is hot sunny weather. A nice cool front hit us today, so figuring it will reach you about tomorrow (just checked the weather --- yep, going to be nice over there).
If you are watering it 2 or 3 times a day, its not going to be growing much roots anyways. That definitely sounds like too much watering if the weather mellows out a little.
Sod is not that delicate, go for it.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #8

You were right, rained last night and the next few days are low 70s. In the pictures that will be attached or linked you can see how the water accumulated by the pool from the rain. My worry is over time this causes the actual gunnite pool to crack.

He said he was gonna rake it and slope it but i was on train to work and two hours later the pictures from my wife show him halfway done so it doesnt seem like it was a major concern o him.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

I have issues with pictures on this site but you can click my album on this site by my user name and it should work.

Last edited by Richardya; 08-23-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 818

I looking at the pictures it looks like you're running sod right up to the coping all the way around the pool? If that's the case you are going to regret it down the road. 1st reason is that it's going to be very hard to keep grass clippings out of the pool when you mow and people are going to track more in whenever they use the pool. Secondly chlorine and grass don't mix well, you going to have areas where people get in and out of the pool all the time where the grasses not going to survive. You really needed to put at least a partial concrete pad up to the coping from the gate to the pool at a minimum.
Advertisement