New Lawn 3.5 Acres, No Irrigation - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 115

New lawn 3.5 acres, no irrigation

We're building a house via modular route, and will need to eventually put in about 3.5-4 acres worth of lawn. Hopefully we're not in over our heads, as this is a fairly large area.

After graded, our plan is to:
1. Till down to about 6"
2. Roll it with a tractor drawn roller
3. Use a tractor drawn aerator
4. Spread seed with tractor drawn spreader
5. Cover with straw (is this actually needed?)

The biggest problem we see is that we cannot water the entire lawn because of the size, and can't depend on it raining. We were thinking of getting a 125gallon tractor drawn tank with a spray pump and go over the lawn with it, but I have no idea how long/how much water this would take and if it is a feasible option.

We're planning on early spring 2016 to get this done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 188

If you can't water it, find some other natural alternative to grass. 125 gallons won't go far. One irrigation head can use 2 to 4 gallons per minute and you'll need many many heads to cover 4 acres.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,480

Even if you were successful I just can't imagine anyone wanting to mow / maintain 3.5-4 acres of lawn. Plant something of value like pecan trees. I love pecan pie.

I get a pound of shelled for the suggestion though.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #4

I've calculated water requirements to apply 1 inch of water on 3.5 acres. I actually did it twice to lessen the chance of error but possibly someone will confirm my figures. I once thought I was perfect but have been informed in later years I'm not. So she said.

My calculation says to apply an inch of water on the 3.5 acres it would require 95, 040 gallons.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 469

I Had a acre lake built on my property years ago and when they were done had around 3 acres to seed, I just used a box blade to knock it down level then used a aerator to punch holes, seeded and strawed it and did it in the spring and had no problems at all

I was mowing 6.5 acres around house and lake and it was beautiful when done but man that was a lot of work in the spring when your mowing once a week. Now i have a house with only 1.5 acres and its a piece of cake
Jnaas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #6
John

Rewards Points: 206

Well, at 125 gallons,per trip,it's ONLY 761 trips !
JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,995

Most farmers do not irrigate grass, pasture, hay lands. What I am about to say may vary greatly from area to area so you need local advice from whatever your local USDA Ag office is called in your area.

Here very late summer is the proper time for planting. The temps are warm, the days are cooler and weeds aren't growing as fast. You also avoid the need for irrigation. Since irrigation of such a large area is not going to be a continuing event doing it at all is not the way to start the grass.

I personally would never attempt to have a 4 acre lawn. At least 3 acres of that would only get mowed a few times per summer and would be pasture land. I have far more interesting things to do than be a lawn slave.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,652

My aunt & uncle had a huge lawn like that. Both of them spent 100% of their free time maintaining it. They sold the property just to get out from under the lawn. Nay saying aside I concur that late summer planting will normally give you the best results. Irrigated lawns become hydroponic and fail to put down deep root. When you stop watering they croak pretty fast.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Here very late summer is the proper time for planting. The temps are warm, the days are cooler and weeds aren't growing as fast. You also avoid the need for irrigation. Since irrigation of such a large area is not going to be a continuing event doing it at all is not the way to start the grass.
Good post^^
Location is important. Around here, you plant and straw around Labor Day and don't worry about it. The dew we get overnight night is usually enough.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 115

We're starting to feel like we may be in over our heads with that much lawn now. If we only plant grass on an acre or two, do we just keep the rest dirt?
6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,995

Native species. If we knew your location you might get some useful advice.

But trust us on this statement, by the time you mow an acre for a year you will wish grass was half that amount.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 320

What is there now?
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
But trust us on this statement, by the time you mow an acre for a year you will wish grass was half that amount.
I disagree, I mow about 2 acres at my house, and it's one of the things I look forward to weekly. It only takes 1.5 hours if I catch it before it's too long, and it's a guarantee that I'll have at least 1.5 hours to myself, with no phone calls or other distractions.

For the OP, I wouldn't plant more than an acre (less would obviously be easier) at a time due to the amount of hose, sprinklers, water, etc... needed. Work in sections and eventually you'll get it all started.........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #14

What in the world happened to all the rave about Buffalo grass about 10 years ago. It never needed mowing, OH So Soft to walk on bare foot and so drought tolerant a Horned Toad would dehydrate and die attempting to live among it.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 338

Don't leave the remaining two acres dirt. At least plant some seed to control weeds.
Mowing is all about the equipment. I just moved from a home that had 8 acres of grass, that was mowed twice a week in the spring. Now, have a little over an acre of grass. I kept my commercial grade zero turn when we moved. I watch the neighbors bounce around on their big box lawn tractors and it doesn't look like they are having fun. I rev up the beast zt and am done in under a half hour.
You will love three acres of grass, just get the right mower
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement