New House, Bad Lawn - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Msradell

Old 10-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

New house, bad lawn

I just bought a house and working on improving the lawn. When I moved in, the lawn was over 50% weeds. All types of weeds, a few dead spots, and the grass that is there, is usually pretty thin and frail. This is an idea of what it looked like when I moved in:
https://ibb.co/dnZfkb

This is after I cleaned it up a little bit and applied some weed and feed over the entire lawn:
https://ibb.co/gAiHWG

I would say it is less than 50% weeds now but I have more dead spots where weeds had completely taken over. I overseeded about a week ago and watered daily. I have a lot of grass coming up in the dead spots. I used scott's sun and shade mix. I used about 10lbs on my small lawn, seeding heavily over the dead spots. I added a thin layer of compost over the dead spots and raked it in a little bit. Immediately watered it in after that. I did not aerate. I did dethatch with a rake in spots that needed it. I did wait the recommended amount after applying weed killer to overseed. I have a large tree in the front yard so I don't think aerating or using a dethaching machine is an option. I have a lot of roots. I am thinking about topdressing to bring the level up so the roots are flush with ground level (to keep the mower from getting stuck on big roots). I am waiting until next year to do that though.

Am I on the right track? Am I missing anything? Should I overseed again in the spring? Should I apply a pre emergent in the spring? Should I apply fertilizer before winter?

Last edited by njdurkin; 10-08-2017 at 04:32 PM.
njdurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Re: New house, bad lawn

Done a soil test to see what it needs?
Been on the Scotts web site for suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,306

Can you say where you are in general?
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 28

Just placed an order for a soil test kit from amazon.

No, I didn't think it would be a good idea to take advice directly from a company because there objective would be to sell as much product as possible. So they may tell me to do a lot more than I actually need to do.
njdurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdurkin View Post
Just placed an order for a soil test kit from amazon.

No, I didn't think it would be a good idea to take advice directly from a company because there objective would be to sell as much product as possible. So they may tell me to do a lot more than I actually need to do.
Depending where you live many states have local offices of their agricultural department that will do the testing for you for no charge.

Actually, Scott's website and Scott's in general are very good at helping customers and not trying to push you into using things that are needed. They truly want people to have good lawns. Obviously they're going to recommend their products but they don't do it underhandedly nor force them on you.
concretemasonry, 47_47 and mark sr like this.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 896

It depends, but even with topdressing your tree roots may continue to grow above ground.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement