New Grass Questions - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

New Grass Questions

I recently tore up my yard, put down about 4" of new topsoil and planted grass. This was 3 weeks ago.

I got good results and the grass is coming in nice in most areas. There are a few areas where I might need to touch up down the road, but I'm guessing that's normal. I do have a few questions:

1) How long until I can cut it the first time? Some of it is really long, but other spots it looks like it is still short and thin.

Also, i did step on it to see how firm the soil was. Like I said I put down 4". I seemed to sink a bit, so:

2) is that normal and will the soil firm up? If so should I wait until it's more firm to cut it?

3) How long until I add fertilizer and weed killer (Weed and Feed)?

4) A lot of the hay has decomposed or is hidden under the grass. Should I try to remove what is left or just leave it and let it decompose itself?

Thanks guys.
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden View Post
I recently tore up my yard, put down about 4" of new topsoil and planted grass. This was 3 weeks ago.

I got good results and the grass is coming in nice in most areas. There are a few areas where I might need to touch up down the road, but I'm guessing that's normal. I do have a few questions:

1) How long until I can cut it the first time? Some of it is really long, but other spots it looks like it is still short and thin.

Also, i did step on it to see how firm the soil was. Like I said I put down 4". I seemed to sink a bit, so:

2) is that normal and will the soil firm up? If so should I wait until it's more firm to cut it?

3) How long until I add fertilizer and weed killer (Weed and Feed)?

4) A lot of the hay has decomposed or is hidden under the grass. Should I try to remove what is left or just leave it and let it decompose itself?

Thanks guys.
Sounds like you're doing things right. Remember that no lawn is perfect, and no lawn STARTS OUT perfect. This will be an ongoing project.

1. You can cut it whenever you want to. Make sure the grass & the soil are dry. It'll look like heck, and will likely bunch up in your mower a bit, but that comes with the territory.

2. The topsoil WILL firm up. Whether or not you walk on it depends on how squishy it is. Don't walk on it if it's at all muddy.

3. I'd stay away from both for awhile. Both of those products are pretty potent and could burn the new grass. Maybe wait until fall.

4. If it were mine, I'd leave the hay alone. Pulling it up will probably also pull up new grass. This newly sprouted grass is pretty fragile.

Sounds like you've got a good start!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Branden (07-14-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

DrHicks

Thanks for the reply. I am also making good progress on phase 2, which is the side yard. I have it all torn out and plan on spreading topsoil and planting seed this weekend. I did not use any type of seed starting fertilizer mushroom manure in the back. I was considering both for the side yard. Do you recommend using one, both or neither? Also, any other tips on planting this grass is much appreciated.
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden View Post
DrHicks

Thanks for the reply. I am also making good progress on phase 2, which is the side yard. I have it all torn out and plan on spreading topsoil and planting seed this weekend. I did not use any type of seed starting fertilizer mushroom manure in the back. I was considering both for the side yard. Do you recommend using one, both or neither? Also, any other tips on planting this grass is much appreciated.
First of all, don't mistakenly think I'm some expert. I'm a homeowner/renovator & rental property guy who has just done stuff himself, and made a lot of mistakes over the years. But I've also learned a lot of stuff the hard way.

I'd say that a little starter fertilizer, mixed in with your topsoil/seedbed would be okay. Don't go wild with it. I'd also stay away from any herbicides at this point. I don't know that they'd harm your new grass, but some of those chemicals are pretty harsh, and "baby grass" is pretty tender. Why take the chance? Weed control can come later.

There are several keys here...
- Get good quality grass seed, and the right kind of seed. Some grass is better in shade than other types of grass.
- Get plenty of seed just under the surface of the topsoil. It doesn't need to be very deep.
- Keep it wet. Not soaked & swimming, but wet.
- Be patient. Just accept the fact that your grass isn't going to look very good the first year.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,516

Might take a peek at:
http://www.scotts.com/smg/learn/info...ailId=19500088
Basic info on when to cut, how much, feeding, etc...Commercial but still likely solid info.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

Being in Pittsburg, and it does not rain, you will need to water daily.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement