New England Property Privacy - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

New England property privacy

Our neighbors who have many surveillance cameras , we feel that are encroaching on our privacy. We need specific plant and landscape ideas to give us the privacy that we desire. Budget is a issue we just need this view to go away fast, we live in a old 210+ yr farmhouse. Oh stupid looking cheapo depot fence is their idea.......:ma d:
Attached Thumbnails
New England property privacy-image.jpg  

Last edited by Thebarn134; 01-26-2015 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Forgot word
Thebarn134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,480

Any one of the many fast growing Bamboo's that suit your fancy.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Thebarn134 (01-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Ayuh,.... Lilacs,... in just a couple of years, you'll have a wall there,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Thebarn134 (01-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 320

Fat Albert spruce get about 10-15' high. Make a good wind break and deer resistant too.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 47_47 For This Useful Post:
Thebarn134 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,318

Tall Juniper....???

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/types-j...ubs-51499.html

Quote:
Upright Tall Junipers
Tall upright junipers make good windbreaks, large hedges and striking accents in the landscape. "Hetzii Columnaris" (Juniperus chinensis "Hetzii Columnaris") is a vigorously growing juniper, reaching 10 to 15 feet tall and 5 feet wide at maturity. "Hetzii Columnaris" grows well in USDA plant hardiness zones 4 through 9 and can readily be shaped into topiary. "Sylvestris" (Juniperus chinensis "Sylvestris") has fragrant green foliage and its pyramidal form can reach 15 to 25 feet tall and 3 to 10 feet wide in USDA zones 4a through 10a. Southern Red Cedar (Juniperus silicola) is a large pyramidal or columnar shrub or tree, growing 30 to 45 feet tall with a spread of 20 to 25 feet. Southern Red Cedar grows rapidly in USDA zones 8a through 10b in sun or part shade and is pest-resistant. Southern Red Cedar is useful as a screen, specimen or Christmas tree.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Thebarn134 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #6

Very interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Any one of the many fast growing Bamboo's that suit your fancy.
Thank you, yes I have been looking at bamboo we are in s. nh and I really don't know enough about it, I was planning on bringing the arbor closer and have fill and soil brought in to raise the bed a few feet to give the chance of privacy a kickstart, it's sad when you have to do this because of prying eyes, we'd rather not confront these people because of them being so strange ........ The so called fence has been moved 2-3 times since the fall to suit there needs. Party's/ snow removal ect. Mind you the line or border has not been agreed on legally "survey ect" it's just obvious that they just want to make us uncomfortable in our home, in our mind childish, so we will have to spend $$ that we really don't have. But we are determined to become comfortable again in our dream home, so your idea of bamboo is intriguing, please share any info it will be great... Thank you so much
Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,318

Point a camera at their place.

Add a bright light that shines towards their house at night. That will do wonders for washing out any camera views they have.

Bamboo is fast...but, usually only grows in warmer climates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo

If it was me, I'd go down to a local tree nursery and talk to them. You might be able to buy enough 6' or so Junipers to make your fence.

A cautionary word about property lines. Make sure you know where it is and don't let them encroach on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
Ambidextrous klutz

Rewards Points: 38

yep, what ddawg16 said, but before going to nursery, I suggest your county extension agent. Those evergreens are nice, grow thick, and are beautiful.

On a 'mean' note; you might consider some hand-held powerful (2 million candlepower) spotlights, useful around the farm, and if they randomly hit encroaching cameras, 'oh well'.
Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 896

Reason number 612 to not have neighbors.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davejss For This Useful Post:
Thebarn134 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

Reason 6 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
Reason number 612 to not have neighbors.
The guys one of those Richie rich I have all the toys geek live in a stick built, vinyl sided things sort of big time contractor wanna be.... I'm not impressed not one bit. We live in a old farmhouse/ w barn that they have no appreciation for, I am 100% disabled and work tirelessly on updating and improving our home, it angers me that a person thinks that he can do whatever he wants.........just a lonely couple no children in a way too big playpen

Sorry venting. Thank you so much
Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 66

If you have access to dirt or backfill from any job sites, you could build a berm possibly. You would have to make sure it doesn't violate any property codes but if you can get a 6' berm and plant virtually any shrub you will have 8' privacy 'fence',
arvanlaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement