New Construction: Bare Backyard - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Dave Sal
  • 2 Post By Colbyt
  • 1 Post By Oso954

Old 08-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

New construction: bare backyard

Hi all! We just closed on a new construction in the central valley California. And like other builder homes here, it is a bare backyard for us to landscape.

But because we are currently house poor and donít want to hire a landscaper. I want to know recommendation from other DIYers on where to start because I envision this will be 2-3 year project where we must prep the raw dirt for planting.

I was thinking of just mulching the entire area for half the year since we are going to be approaching fall and winter shortly.
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,314

Re: New construction: bare backyard

Ayuh,.... Grade it to shed water, plant grass seed, 'n mulch it,.....

It oughta be a "Lawn" by spring,....
Dave Sal likes this.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,138

I bought my home as new construction in the fall (September) with the backyard filled with weeds and some piles of dirt. I rented a tiller and smoothed everything out and raked up the weeds after a couple days. Spread Scotts grass seed and starter fertilizer topped with peat moss and some top soil, and kept it watered. There was enough time for the new grass to germinate before the cold temps arrived. The following spring I had a decent lawn and a couple years later my neighbor said that my grass "looked like a country club".
Bondo likes this.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,951

Grading should be done by the builder as most localities require that according to a master subdivision plan.

Don't know your climate but if grass is an option:
Layout on paper a master plan for the yard.
Mulch the areas where the plants will go someday
Do what Bondo said with the rest of it.

Then shop the clearance sales at the garden centers. Those death row plants and shrubs can be bought for a few cents on the spring dollar. Don't buy a bargain unless it fits in with you master plan.
Bondo and Dave Sal like this.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,876

The definition of the Central Valley varies a little depending who is using it.

The one problem that will make a big difference in your landscaping plans is whether or not you have a hard pan layer where you are located.

It lays in a stripe that starts up north about the Butte/Sutter county line and runs down to just below the Tulare/Kern county line. The width of that stripe varies, as does the depth of the layer.

If you are in the hardpan area, the lawn will do OK. However deeper rooted bushes/trees may require that you breakup that layer. Depending on the method you choose, it may tear up any lawn or lawn sprinkler system you decide to put in now.

As a kid, I remember watching a contractor dynamiting a portion of the across-the-street neighbors front lawn. The neighbor was converting it to a rose garden.
Bondo likes this.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 570

Reading your total of 4 posts.......two say you are in moderate northern CA. Or are you in Central Valley ?
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #7

Id say moderate northern ca
Old 08-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #8

So figure i attach some pics on soil conditions to let everyone know what I am working with. Lmk if I require top soil or if sodding is probably better at this point

New construction: bare backyard-img_1270.jpg
New construction: bare backyard-img_1271.jpg
New construction: bare backyard-img_1272.jpg
New construction: bare backyard-img_1273.jpg
New construction: bare backyard-img_1274.jpg
New construction: bare backyard-img_1275.jpg
Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,390

That wouldn't pass for soil around here.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,314

Ayuh,..... Looks like ya got enough reveal to put in an inch or so of top dirt, 'n seed it,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #11

New construction: bare backyard

Either thats a good thing pr bad thing... is it simply just layer top soil or do i need to condition/remove anything in preparation?

Or will sod solve both of these?
Old 08-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 7,390

Sod will not solve that.

I don't think one inch of topsoil is going to be enough. One inch might be what the cheapest builders put in. But the topsoil holds moisture for the grass. With only one inch I think you will be perpetually struggling with dry lawn if it don't rain every few days. I am no expert, maybe a landscaper will chime in, but I would think somewhere about 3" is where you should be shooting for. Which then means you probably have to remove some of that stuff. Sorry if I can't provide any good news.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,138

I'm sure you're probably itching to get this project started, but having a soil test done before you do anything will let you know what you are working with.

My lawn hasn't been doing too well the last few years in spite of a regular fertilizing schedule. I had a soil test done and learned that the soil was basically depleted of potassium. I corrected that and the lawn seems to have turned around, at least until a long dry spell with high temps made it go dormant for awhile.

Check with your county for soil testing services.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 528

Rent a rototiller and go over the area while adding compost and oyster shells and other organic material. If there is a local recycle center they should have "mulch" that is free for the taking. Rent a trailer and haul it to your place.

For adding nitrogen to the soil the best product is plain old chicken manure which is better than steer manure. Without adequate nitrogen you will have a lot of opportunistic weeds growing in the yard.

The best approach would be to rent a bobcat and remove the top 6 inches of your subsoil that was left after the subdivision builder graded the sites and hauled off all the top soil. Adding real dirt that is often available to anyone that will haul it away is the quickest way to have a viable yard.

There are fast growing trees and shrubs that do not require a lot of water but still will take 3-5 years to have reach a good size. The sooner you can get these going the better. Nothing does more for resale value than nice trees and other plants.

Another option is to till in a lot of steer manure and then lay sod which will have its own topsoil in the grass roots.

Important to have a good start on a sprinkler or irrigation system before you put any plants in the ground. Be careful as to your planting choices as you do not want to have a big water bill to pay each month.

Last edited by Calson; Today at 12:42 AM.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement