Negative Slope, Grading (pic) - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 42

Negative slope, grading (pic)

Hi everybody

I just moved into a house, and there seems to be a slight negative slope into the back. There is not really any issue, but as a preventative measure I want to correct it.

The issue I am running into is that the weep holes on the brick are too low for me to actually physically add dirt, so I will need to go down instead of building up. Anybody done this before? Just looking for some encouragement that it can be done. My thought was essentially digging until I could get a nice steady slope away from the house over 6 ft. Then possibly adding a pathway to the gate on the side of the house.

(Note in the picture i had already added dirt, then pulled it back when I realized I was covering the weep holes in the brick)
Attached Thumbnails
Negative slope, grading (pic)-img_4238.jpg  
62caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

Your foundation should be higher, but that's not helping you any at this point.....You're still to high IMO. I would keep the topsoil few inches below the first row of bricks. They will soak up moisture and when they freeze, will get damaged.
78Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #3

Thanks.. I should add that there is foundation block that runs up to the second row of visual brick in the picture above. This is OK according to http://www.gobrick.com/Portals/25/do...0Notes/TN7.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Vette View Post
Your foundation should be higher, but that's not helping you any at this point.....You're still to high IMO. I would keep the topsoil few inches below the first row of bricks. They will soak up moisture and when they freeze, will get damaged.

With the winters you guy have that may be true for you.

Here it is quite normal to have a lot brick, over foundation, below grade. In fact is is a quite common HOA restriction that no non-brick surface be exposed.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Thanks all. Every house on the street has brick under dirt, so
I am not worried about that. Just trying to figure out the best way to slope it away
Old 06-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
With the winters you guy have that may be true for you.

Here it is quite normal to have a lot brick, over foundation, below grade. In fact is is a quite common HOA restriction that no non-brick surface be exposed.
Doesn't it freeze down there at all? If it does and the bricks are loaded with water, it'll pop the face of the bricks. Maybe it dont get cold enough or not long enough....
I don't know where the OP's at either...
78Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Vette View Post
Doesn't it freeze down there at all? If it does and the bricks are loaded with water, it'll pop the face of the bricks. Maybe it dont get cold enough or not long enough....

I've never dug them out to look it, don't plan to and really don't care.

No, compared to what you guys have it don't freeze here. I tend to agree with the comedian who said, 'What! Only a $10 fee to exit this frozen tundra. You guys could charge a lot more and I would gladly pay'.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Doesn't freeze too much here in south Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement