Need Suggestions W/ My Front Yard... *PICS* - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

So here's my dilemma, after moving in, April 2007, my concrete guys removed my drip system from the front planter without telling me The planter still received water several months later, due to rain, however as it started heating up I noticed my plants were dying and weeds started popping up in hoards!

Needless to say, I never really did any maintenance on the area for several years and decide last week to rip everything out and start fresh!

This is where I am today... Now with everything out, I'm contemplating on what I should do with the area. I like the idea of keeping it a planter area; add some curb mold, river rock, and very low maintenance plants/shrubs. I will have to add a drip system via existing sprinklers from the lawn should I decide to do just that. I was set on this idea, until I started thinking

Maybe, I can cement half of the area and enclose it to form a patio area... and/or even extend the walkway to the curb. Another idea I had, was create a walkway to the east portion of the house (picture 3) and add a second side gate to access the backyard.

Looking for any ideas at the moment... thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-2767045975.jpg   Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-4173022656.jpg   Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-2457894790.jpg   Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-449282427.jpg  

Last edited by jaysen; 08-03-2013 at 08:18 PM.
jaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,486

Please go back and add your location to your profile, just go to Quick links to edit.
Hard to make suggestions on what to do without at least knowing where on the planet you are.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

I really like that curve. It helps soften the front of the house.
I think a red paver patio with a couple of large container plants would look awesome. Or a planting bed with red mulch or rock.
It all depends on your budget and how much maintenance you want to deal with.

Would you use either a walkway to the road, or the back gate? If not, I'd keep it green. I wouldn't add any more concrete unless there was a real need or use for it.

Nice place.

Other than that the best suggestion I have is to steal ideas. Walk around your neighborhood and check out the other yards. See what you like.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,884

Yes...location please.....

And tell your neighbor it's time to take down the wreath on the door.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 91

First of all, beautiful house and yard!

What about a flagstone walkway through the middle to the back yard, and then greenery on either side of the walkway?
NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Please go back and add your location to your profile, just go to Quick links to edit.
Hard to make suggestions on what to do without at least knowing where on the planet you are.
Sorry about that; Corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
I really like that curve. It helps soften the front of the house.
I think a red paver patio with a couple of large container plants would look awesome. Or a planting bed with red mulch or rock.
It all depends on your budget and how much maintenance you want to deal with.

Would you use either a walkway to the road, or the back gate? If not, I'd keep it green. I wouldn't add any more concrete unless there was a real need or use for it.

Nice place.

Other than that the best suggestion I have is to steal ideas. Walk around your neighborhood and check out the other yards. See what you like.
Thanks for the suggestions... I love pavers! I'm strongly considering incorporating them somewhere but scared it might clash with the rest of the concrete (i.e. driveway, covered patio area)

Definitely NO MULCH! Although it looks lnice when its first put down, after several months/years starts to lose its color, at least in my experience with the stuff I've used in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Yes...location please.....

And tell your neighbor it's time to take down the wreath on the door.
Hahah, they just moved in a few months back; very quiet couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeTen View Post
First of all, beautiful house and yard!

What about a flagstone walkway through the middle to the back yard, and then greenery on either side of the walkway?
not sure if a mix of flag + concrete would look ok...
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysen View Post

Thanks for the suggestions... I love pavers! I'm strongly considering incorporating them somewhere but scared it might clash with the rest of the concrete (i.e. driveway, covered patio area)
I thought red pavers would tie in with the red roof, but that's JMHO.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,884

I thought you might be in my neck of the woods.....

I like the paver idea as well.....

There are lots of different pavers out there...this is what I did in our back yard about 6 years ago...

If you look closely in the pic, you will see one section that is done in the shape of a chess board....patio chess...now we just need some large chess pieces...

Since your house has a 'Spanish' look to it...a cobble stone type of paver would look good. I can give you the name of a couple of places that carry a large selection of stone...but it would be over in the South Bay - Gardena - Lomita area.

You could also include a planter or some other feature in the area that would break up the large expanse (fountain?).

Lots of potential.

BTW....do your best to get to know all your neighbors....it's some of the best home defense you can have....nosy neighbors will call the police when something doesn't look right. The better friends you are with them...the more likely they are to call.

Good neighbors look out for each other.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

...need suggestions

Hey there. Not much exciting, just an irrigation tip, and you may alerady know this...If you decide to add any irrigation for the area, put the drip on a separate zone, NOT on the same zone as a turf zone. Turf and plant material(especially new installs) take different rates of water to grow and maintain. If you don't separate the zones you wouldn't have individual control of the water flow to each. :-) YP.
YorkiePoo1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkiePoo1973
Hey there. Not much exciting, just an irrigation tip, and you may alerady know this...If you decide to add any irrigation for the area, put the drip on a separate zone, NOT on the same zone as a turf zone. Turf and plant material(especially new installs) take different rates of water to grow and maintain. If you don't separate the zones you wouldn't have individual control of the water flow to each. :-) YP.
I'm aware but none the less thanks for reminding!!!

Need to deal with an issue before I proceed- see pics;

My "dry well" drain, or lack thereof....

Didn't realize how much water pooled in that area and even continues into my lawn.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-1613506901.jpg   Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-2602987836.jpg   Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-868322985.jpg   Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-3908119068.jpg   Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-1793668664.jpg  

Need Suggestions w/ my front yard... *PICS*-image-3330261701.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 81

My thoughts on first impression and a quick read of the replies.
This is the main entrance. Direct visitors vision from the garage to the front door.
Cover the dirt area with a flagstone "patio" with places to sit and a path to the back.
Surround the dirt area with a SW style wall (like 3-4' whatever zoning allows).
Include raised planters (~18") in the wall for plants with drainage away from the "patio".
Put an arch from the end of the wall to the corner of the garage.
I was just in Santa Fe last week and there were many courtyard type spaces that may interest you. A lot of flagstone patio areas.

I love SW style architecture. I am certain you can find some good ideas just looking at images. Good luck.
gobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 81

As I read your last post I just saw the question about the water. I also found a slight slope down toward the street in one of your earlier photos.

Getting the water away from your house is important, even if you must dig a hole install a sump pump and french drain around the house. You live in termite country, plus you don't want your foundation to break or tilt.

Have you already contacted local contractors for this type of problem?
gobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement