Need Suggestions For Non-invasive Wet-area Plants - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Need suggestions for non-invasive wet-area plants

So I've been dealing with major backyard flooding issues for three years. After struggling with the local governing board, dealing with neighbors, and hiring contractors and inspectors, we had a drain tile system installed about 11 months ago. The project just now sort of finished up, after my contractor went into hiding and never finished the job, but I got him back out to tie in a french drain that was causing the whole problem from the start.

The trouble is I still have a large wet area out back. Granted, it's nothing like it was, but I still have about 30x40' of yard against my northwest corner of the lot that is unable to be mowed or walked on. It's a soggy mess, and I'm having a very hard time controlling weed growth back there as I cannot mow it and I can't stand on it to weed eat it effectively. Spraying hasn't really helped either. So, what I Need are some shrubs and ground covering plants that will absorb water, thrive, snuff out the weeds and grass, but most of all, not be harmful to the perforated tile system I just spend thousands of dollars installing.

My wife and I just transferred some "ditch lillies" from my neighbor's yard at her suggestion but depending on how fast they grow, I need something more. I don't want a root system that will invade and clog my tile. I'm avoiding trees for this reason. Can anyone help me with some suggestions? I'm located in West-Central Indiana so climate is a bit of everything.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 654

Ayuh,.... I've got a real nice bed of plain ole Cattails growin' long 1 area,....

Their a low visual cover, 'bout 6 or 8 months outa the year....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement