NEED HELP With Lanscaping My House!!! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

NEED HELP with lanscaping my house!!!

trying to landscape my own house. FRUSTRATING!!
millions of books etc. Does anyone know of a book that is EASY to read like almost idiot proof. I don't have the time nor the patience to learn this stuff. Every book is the same stuff over and over it's so serious. Is it even possible?
I know just hire someone but I really want to do it myself. I see alot of neighbors etc. do it themselves and it really looks it. It looks horrible you can tell who knew what they were doing.
thanks

Last edited by steveneedshelp; 02-05-2009 at 04:05 PM.
steveneedshelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What are you trying to do??

Plant trees, shrubs, flowers, lawn, statues, patio ??

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #3

I quess it's called a foundation planting. It's a new subdivision in new york alot of my neighbors have done it themselves (horrible)
I don't want or can spend several thousand dollars on hiring a guy. It looks easy just need to know what to plant.
thanks
yes trees,shrubs,flowers
steveneedshelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I go to plant sites online, find out the zone I am in
Then I look thru for flowers I like
I'm more of an over-plant, lotsa of stuff person
I don't actually over-plant, I just let everything grow in

I don't like mowing along the fences so I have small gardens long the fences. Mostly planted with fall bulbs & perennials

Lupines are one of my favorites & they reseed

These attract hummingbirds

Early Spring, I have a selection of fall bulbs that start blooming in late Feb & continue thru June. Then the perennials come in

The front faces North, so not much near the front of the house except bushes

It's actually changed a lot since most of these pics. I had a skunk dig up part of the front lawn
The cement wall blocks are gone, a walkway is going in as the driveway is moving
It all depends upon your neighborhood & what you like
Many people just want to fit in with the Jones' & Smiths'

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 02-05-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
typing left handed

Rewards Points: 25

Ortho makes a line of very affordable books with general, basic how to instructions. Most of them are under 20 bucks. Look for one that includes the correct way to plant, water and maintain. "easy" is a relative term--theres more to this than digging a hole and turning on the hose. Trees and shrubs can get costly, and its a real drag to spend the money, do the work only to watch them turn brown. The most common planting mistakes are installing too deep and then over or underwatering.
Other factors to be considered, size/scale of plantings, sun/shade exposure, and as SD mentioned, things that will do well in your climate zone. Your local nursery can help with that as well.
The most common mistakes in plant choices are using too small for the area and not using a mix of both evergreen and decidious so that in winter everything isnt bare and dormant..and also using color varieties that work together and with your house.
Its quite a satisfying venture to do it youself and have it turn out well, and then have the plants thrive. If you invest a little time and research you will get better results than your neighbors.
Some of the books have actual garden designs and walk you thru the process.
Good luck.

PS.. you can buy the Ortho books online at Amazon, (new and used) and Lowes, HD, some nurseries..etc..also at Borders/Barnes N. etc.

Last edited by jmb324; 02-05-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: adding ps
jmb324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I don't have the time nor the patience to learn this stuff.
I don't intend to sound negative, but if you don't have the time nor patience, especially the patience, to learn, I have to wonder why you took the time to post this thread and why you expect help.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveneedshelp View Post
I don't have the time nor the patience to learn this stuff.
If that's the case then in all likelihood this will apply to you and your place:

Quote:
I see alot of neighbors etc. do it themselves and it really looks it. It looks horrible you can tell who knew what they were doing.
thanks
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #8

You are correct, books can be frustrating. My advice is to look around your neighborhood to see what you like. Bring your camera. Extract elements that you like and use them at your house. Use books or internet to find out what some of the plants that you see are. Also try and use plants that are native to your area. These will be easier to maintain and will be less suseptable to disease and pests.
jpmildge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement