My Lawn Is A Disaster - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 04-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

My lawn is a disaster

Moved into a new home last June and the front and back yards were in semi-decent shape but they need a lot of help. I wasn't able to tackle this project in the fall when I should have but I would like to attempt to correct the yard in the next 2 weeks.

Ideally I wanted to use a sod cutter and remove everything to start from scratch. I don't have the ability to to dump all the material so I'm hoping there's an alternative to grow a respectable lawn. I'm not looking for a golf course but rather a respectable green lawn. There are quite a few areas along the fence that are heavily shaded. This is what I came up with so please tell me if this would work.

1)Spraying the problem spots with RoundUp for Lawns to hopefully take care of the weeds/dandelions. Ive never used this stuff but I figure its worth a shot since I will be re-seeding the whole yard. Was planning on spraying tomorrow to get the ball rolling

2)Aerate entire yard

3)Add a layer of topsoil to entire yard and fill in uneven spots

4)Over-seeding entire yard. I would like to use Jonathon green grass but not sure which type to get. Fall Magic and Dense shade mixture. Opinions?

5)Starter fertilizer on top

6)Water 2-3x a day

anthony21078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,914

Re: My lawn is a disaster

You picked the wrong time of year to do any of this.
Doing it now will just replant all the weed seeds.
Fine to kill the weeds but there to little grass left to over take it and any grass seed will die out once the heat hits it.
That drainage issue needs to be dealt with on that far right hand corner, grass will not grow if it's to wet.
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You picked the wrong time of year to do any of this.
Doing it now will just replant all the weed seeds.
Fine to kill the weeds but there to little grass left to over take it and any grass seed will die out once the heat hits it.
That drainage issue needs to be dealt with on that far right hand corner, grass will not grow if it's to wet.

I will be spraying the weeds tomorrow. I figure I have about 2 weeks to kill off the weeds and by that time the tempartures are still in the high 60s during the day and mid 50s at night.

I was under the impression that I could still seed in the spring with those temps (although not optimal)?

Perhaphs my method is not the best for this time of year so lets disregard the heavy machines. But do you think I still have enough time to kill the weeds, spread some top soil, spread some seed and finish with starter fertilizer?

If I do that and it doesnt work I only wasted a days worth of work and few hundred bucks which Im ok with. Id just like some nice green grass for the summer

Can you give me some suggestions on how to deal with the drainage problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,170

Cool season grasses, which is what you will have in NY, are best seeded in the late summer/fall so this is not the ideal time for your project. That said, other than timing, it's not a horrible plan. Given that you should have some time, though, here's what I would do:
Get a soil test
About a month out from starting the project, spray everything with Roundup
Two weeks after spraying Roundup, spray anything still alive again
In another two weeks, add all of the amendments recommended by the soil test and roto-til the lawn
Plant your seed and keep it moist but not damp until it germinates (typically two or three very light waterings per day)
Once germinated, start watering less often for longer times to promote deep root growth (once or twice per week for an hour or more once the grass has firmly taken hold)
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Cool season grasses, which is what you will have in NY, are best seeded in the late summer/fall so this is not the ideal time for your project. That said, other than timing, it's not a horrible plan. Given that you should have some time, though, here's what I would do:
Get a soil test
About a month out from starting the project, spray everything with Roundup
Two weeks after spraying Roundup, spray anything still alive again
In another two weeks, add all of the amendments recommended by the soil test and roto-til the lawn
Plant your seed and keep it moist but not damp until it germinates (typically two or three very light waterings per day)
Once germinated, start watering less often for longer times to promote deep root growth (once or twice per week for an hour or more once the grass has firmly taken hold)

after the second round of spraying and the weeds are actually dead, are you supposed to pull them out, rake them out or just leave them?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,170

That's the roto-til step - once they're dead, they're just organic material to join with the soil.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,370

Is that lighter green-yellow stuff moss? I'm not sure all weed killers deal with moss. I believe we were told to till and add soil for our moss (something about it meaning the ground is staying pretty wet... Was 20 years ago so I don't recall exactly.)

We had to put down 4" to 6" of top soil because of weeds and moss in our yard. There's still a couple places that are swampy and won't drain; we gave up about a decade ago and use one of them as a compost pile - the neighbors chickens break out of their yard to eat all the worms heh

Also the leaves you show in photo 4 look like strawberry leaves heh

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 7,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony21078 View Post
. Id just like some nice green grass for the summer

Then fix the drainage, spray the lawn with real Roundup (glyphosate), wait a week and spray anything still green, wait a week and rent a rototiller and go over the whole area, and then put down sod. Still have to be careful to keep it watered over the summer heat, but far better chance of surviving.
You put down seed and you will get a ton of weeds coming up with the grass. And it will still look poor this summer, not so good next summer, but not-bad the summer after that.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:04 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
I'm not sure all weed killers deal with moss.
But they sell moss killers that are very effective, if that is moss.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #10

Is this moss?

Old 04-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #11

Does it make sense to have a service like Lawn Doctor come to the house for 6 sessions to spray for weeds, add fertilzer, add lime and grub control? 6 sessions for $495.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony21078 View Post
Does it make sense to have a service like Lawn Doctor come to the house for 6 sessions to spray for weeds, add fertilzer, add lime and grub control? 6 sessions for $495.
No.

I think you need a redo.

And, welcome to the forum!
SPS-1 and JoshInWi like this.

Last edited by DoomsDave; 04-16-2019 at 06:03 PM.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #13

@anthony21078 , you appear to have a lot of moss, which is kind of like anti-lawn.

Moss wants cool, damp, shaded. Grasses, lawn grasses anyway, mostly want plenty of sun and well-drained soil. You get one where the other isn't happy.

But, some mosses will take a bit more sun, and you appear to have some of that, too.

I'm suggesting that there's not a super easy solution to your situation. If you "toss the moss" might be a loss, because if you kill it off, and the grass won't grow, then what? So much for a lawn.

I suspect you really want a lawn, and I think the best thing to do is really explore drainage options, like laying old-fashioned "drain tiles" to carry off excess water and get your soil to be less wet, and, less conducive to moss.

But, you drain with your brain, and if you want to try to lay tile, you need to have a place for the water to go to. That's an art and a science in itself. (An old (aged) buddy of mine back in Ohio did the drain tile thing and it worked great, but the extra water rolled down to the beach into Lake Erie.) If you don't have a place for the water to drain to, you might have a problem.

Sorry, if I disabused easy solutions. I'm proposing that you try to find a harder, but more lasting solution, that you and yours will appreciate, and keep on appreciating.

And share with us.

Last edited by DoomsDave; 04-16-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,370

I attempted to identify but there's sooo many moss varieties and it's not very well organized (the US government was involved heh) Maybe this one??

http://bryophyteportal.org/portal/ta...58753&clid=114

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #15

Moss can rock, sometimes, if you're willing to let it.

http://www.mossacres.com/

If you still want grass, okay, but maybe explore moss?
@Mystriss , maybe give the moose some moss, sorry, I HAD to say that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement