Mosquito Injection Systems For Irrigation Systems - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 357

Mosquito injection systems for irrigation systems

I have a large yard that will have 6 zones. We live on the lake and have a HUGE mosquito problem. I spray my yard every couple weeks with a permethrin mixture and it keeps them controlled.

I have been looking at the mosquito injection systems online but am wondering if my yard is too large for something like this. We are drawing from the lake and each zone will run for about an hour at a time.

How is this stuff dosed? A constant feed? Small doses every few minutes?

I do not want to invest in one only to find out I go through the chemical too fast having such a large yard.
bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 107

Don't plan on fishing in that lake do you? I understand mosquito issues but constant application of an insect side near a lake can't be good.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimn01 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #3

They do not use true insecticide chemicals...everything is "green" nowadays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,378

I wouldn't use it at my home (I don't wear Earth shoes either): http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/Permtech.pdf
"Permethrin is highly toxic to honeybees, fish, and aquatic invertebrates due to disruption of sodium channels.1,3,5
• In general, mammals are less susceptible to permethrin compared to insects because their sodium channels are less sensitive
to pyrethroids and recover more rapidly. Also, because of their larger body size and greater metabolic capabilities,
mammals are more likely to metabolize pyrethroids, such as permethrin, before they can affect the nervous system.5,6 Conversely,
cats can be sensitive to products with high concentrations of permethrin, possibly due to insufficient glucoronide
conjugation capability, which hinders the metabolism of permethrin."
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #5

I do not use it near the lake, just around the house and part of the backyard, probably no closer than 150-175 ft from the lake.

I also use it around my wooden pole barn for mosquitos as well as the large bees that bore holes in the wood. Works great for keeping both away.

I do however see quite a few boathouses with the mist systems on them, which all I have researched use permethrin based chemicals in them.

If you know of something safer, I am more than willing to try it out...I would love to find something to spray around my boathouse to keep away the mosquitos, wasps, and spiders that I fight down there constantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement