Mortarless Retaining Wall In Front Of Wood Fence - Drainage And Prep - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

Mortarless Retaining Wall in Front of Wood Fence - Drainage and prep

I am planning on putting in a 12-16in tall mortar-less retaining wall that is 2ft in front of a 80ft stretch of redwood 6" wide dog-ear fence. I have the redwood sitting on top of 2x8" beams to raise it up a little higher. I plan on back-filling the retaining wall with dirt in order to put a planter in, ive got drip system lines plumbed in for it.

My question is should I try and keep the back-fill of the wall at or below the 2x8" beams? Seems like I wouldn't want to back-fill up against the dog ear fence as it has gaps between slats and isnt as strong as the 2x8's.

As for drainage, can I get away without using drainage since its such a short wall? If not what would be the cheap solution to prevent blocks from getting damaged or pushed out from drainage? I cant imagine it being much of an issue, specially since im in Orange County California where rain isn't abundant here.

I planned on using some sort of landscape fabric in front of the fence and behind the wall, and then back-filling with dirt. Is this the right idea?

Blocks being used:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pavestone...7550/204643744

Basic instruction for retaining wall:
https://www.lowes.com/projects/garde...g-wall/project
Attached Thumbnails
Mortarless Retaining Wall in Front of Wood Fence - Drainage and prep-img_8047.jpg   Mortarless Retaining Wall in Front of Wood Fence - Drainage and prep-shopping.jpg  

Last edited by bhollehday; 04-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.
bhollehday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,036

Re: Mortarless Retaining Wall in Front of Wood Fence - Drainage and prep

Use fabric, fill to near top of 2X8, don't worry about drainage, or the blocks being pushed out.

You don't have enough weight to move them .

Enjoy your flowers.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
bhollehday (04-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Use fabric, fill to near top of 2X8, don't worry about drainage, or the blocks being pushed out.

You don't have enough weight to move them .

Enjoy your flowers.

ED
Thanks Ed.

Could you explain what the fabric's purpose is for my own understanding. Is this just for weed control? Or to keep the wood from rotting?

Also do you know if Ill need to start out with paver base to get blocks level? Or since its a small wall can I get away without that also?

Thanks!
bhollehday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,036

Fabric is to keep weeds from rooting, as for rotting the 2X8, if you are worried get a can of PT coating and "paint" the 2X8.

I forgot, you only need paver base if you are going to have a taller heavier mass in the bed.

You probably can get it level without any, but do get it level or it could fail.
ED

Last edited by de-nagorg; 04-04-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Add I forgot / spelin erer
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
bhollehday (04-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement